• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Music For Pleasure

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Music For Pleasure

I was recently flicking through the bargain bin at our local Oxfam store, looking for a bit of inspiration for my barber shop quartet (specifically anything by Mario Lanza) when I was suddenly taken all the way back to my childhood.

There, amongst all the Top of The Pops cover version albums was a copy of Great War Movie themes by Geoff Love and his Orchestra; Love was an absolute giant in the realms of easy listening and that record was probably his Magnus Opus. I used to love it when I was a boy - I played it practically every day and could conduct every piece in front of my mirror with the wand from my magic set.

Unfortunately, my copy met rather a sticky end - when I took it to school and had it broken by one of the ruffians off the council estate. We had a common room with an old fashioned radiogram upon which we were allowed to play our records at lunchtime & normally I couldn't get near the thing because people were only interested in playing the contemporary sounds of the time but one day I got in there first and popped Geoff onto the turntable. Regrettably, I didn't make it any further than the opening bars of 633 squadron before the school bully came over, took my record off and snapped it in two. I can tell you, I cried for a week after that.

Asides from Great War Movie themes there were a number of others in the series that were favourites of mine including Great Western Movie Themes, Great Bond Movie Themes, Great Terror Movie Themes... all of them by Geoff Love.
    The other unifying theme of these records for which I had a penchant was that they were all on the Music For Pleasure label. I soon came to appreciate that anything released on this particular label was always right up my musical street and over the years have collected many MFP titles. One exception was when I bought an LP actually called Music For Pleasure and it turned out to be by the Damned punk rock pop group and was a terrible din. I wasn't overkeen on the Pink Floyd MFP release either.

Interestingly, some years later I discovered that Geoff Love was a man of colour. I don't mean this to be in any way racist but that came as a real surprise to me - I don't think I could think of any style of music that could be described as being less black than his music was.

Not a patch on James Last!

Comment

I'll get the ball rolling, shall I.

Comment

Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
        Not a patch on James Last!
        Well, I don't suppose that James Last would have recorded the 633 Squadron theme, being as he is German.

In fact...
        His home city was heavily bombed in World War II and he ran messages to air defence command posts during raids.
        Yeah, probably not that keen on The Dambusters either.

Comment

I have the greatest western themes on CD actually.
          While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by dang65 View Post
            Well, I don't suppose that James Last would have recorded the 633 Squadron theme, being as he is German.

In fact...

Yeah, probably not that keen on The Dambusters either.
            Wondered if anyone would pick up on that

Comment

Get some Klaus Wunderlich in your ears!
              YouTube - Klaus Wunderlich: Collage n. 3 (Disco Music)

Comment

Originally posted by gricerboy View Post
                Asides from Great War Movie themes there were a number of others in the series that were favourites of mine including Great Western Movie Themes, Great Bond Movie Themes, Great Terror Movie Themes... all of them by Geoff Love.
                I might have had the Bond one. The real credit for the Bond tunes goes to John Barry. Despite quibbles about whether he or Monty Norman were responsible for the original Bond Theme in Dr No, it was Barry's orchestral sound wot dun it.
                Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

I've recently found out that Geoff also performed as Manuel and the Music of the Mountains.

I'm familiar with Manuel because of his inclusion on this album:

Some other right crackers on there mind you. Spanish Harlem by Norrie Paramour. Poppa Yo Quiero by Joe Loss

Edit: The rather splendid cover art is, by all accounts, Concorde undergoing tests in the wind tunnel.
                  Last edited by Malcolm Buggeridge; 30 October 2012, 14:07.

Comment

Originally posted by gricerboy View Post
                    I was recently flicking through the bargain bin at our local Oxfam store, looking for a bit of inspiration for my barber shop quartet (specifically anything by Mario Lanza) when I was suddenly taken all the way back to my childhood.

There, amongst all the Top of The Pops cover version albums was a copy of Great War Movie themes by Geoff Love and his Orchestra; Love was an absolute giant in the realms of easy listening and that record was probably his Magnus Opus. I used to love it when I was a boy - I played it practically every day and could conduct every piece in front of my mirror with the wand from my magic set.

Unfortunately, my copy met rather a sticky end - when I took it to school and had it broken by one of the ruffians off the council estate. We had a common room with an old fashioned radiogram upon which we were allowed to play our records at lunchtime & normally I couldn't get near the thing because people were only interested in playing the contemporary sounds of the time but one day I got in there first and popped Geoff onto the turntable. Regrettably, I didn't make it any further than the opening bars of 633 squadron before the school bully came over, took my record off and snapped it in two. I can tell you, I cried for a week after that.

The other unifying theme of these records for which I had a penchant was that they were all on the Music For Pleasure label. I soon came to appreciate that anything released on this particular label was always right up my musical street and over the years have collected many MFP titles. One exception was when I bought an LP actually called Music For Pleasure and it turned out to be by the Damned punk rock pop group and was a terrible din. I wasn't overkeen on the Pink Floyd MFP release either.

Interestingly, some years later I discovered that Geoff Love was a man of colour. I don't mean this to be in any way racist but that came as a real surprise to me - I don't think I could think of any style of music that could be described as being less black than his music was.
                    Geoff Love was a brutha?

I must dig out my old copy of Big Western Movie Themes.

That's so old I think it's actually a mono recording replete with scratches that actually become part of the score

If I ever hear the Theme from Laramie and it doesn't jump at the start it's just not the same to me.

Anyone remember putting coins on the tone arm to stop records jumping? Actually, most of mine tend to stick rather than jump.

Yes, in fact I'm frequently awoken from my drunken slumbers to find the needle's stuck in the groove.

Thanks Geoff.
                    Last edited by Pip in a Poke; 20 April 2017, 21:16.

Comment

Working...
                    X