• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Double-Barelled Names

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Double-Barelled Names

What do you think when you are introduced to someone with a double barelled surname?

Doesn't seem to hold the same connotations it used to.

I like it when people put together two perfectly harmless surnames and make one really silly one. I dunno, Nesbitt and Bingley to make Bingley-Nesbitt, or something.

Don't really think about it otherwise. Has to be silly to register.

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
      What do you think when you are introduced to someone with a double barelled surname?

Doesn't seem to hold the same connotations it used to.
      If it's a bloke, I usually think he's a wimp as it means his wife rules the roost!
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
        If it's a bloke, I usually think he's a wimp as it means his wife rules the roost!
        Yup. Sure sign of a bedwetter.

Comment

If it's a woman, I always think "posh bird = dirty".
          While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Badde-Choyce For Double Barrelled Names…
            If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

I think they're complete - nobs! Who the feck wants a stupid double barrel name today!?
              I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
                I think they're complete - nobs! Who the feck wants a stupid double barrel name today!?
                Interesting thoughts, Marillion-Fan and Bolshie-Bastard.

I don't know anyone with a name like this, can barely remember every knowing someone. Though at school there was a kid who had double-barelled first AND second names.
                Actually my wife was technically a double-barrel surname before marrying due to her mother being bitter after a divorce... but she just chose one surname and stuck with it.
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

My Missus is double barrelled....

I recenlty got married and my other half has decided (with support from me) to use her maiden surname with my surname as a double barrelled name.

Now until now I've always thought of double barrelled names as being a bit poncy but as the other half is a professional classical musician she has a "name" in musical circles and has spent many years building a reputation in her own right (and name). If she had changed her name to my surname alone, people would not recognise her and she would just be another cellist.

Seems pretty reasonable to me!

Comment

The normal way is surely to use your maiden name for work... or simply not to take the new name. I know a renowned astrophysicist who used her maiden name for work for years, but it got too complicated with visas since she goes to conferences all over the place, so she changed her surname officially back to her maiden name.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                    X