• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

German economy surges ahead at record pace

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

German economy surges ahead at record pace

The German economy grew at its fastest pace in the second quarter since the country was reunified two decades ago, fuelling the strongest growth in the eurozone in more than two years.

Europe's largest economy powered ahead between April and June, growing by 2.2%, thanks to a recovery in construction and strong foreign demand for German goods, the federal statistical office, Destatis, reported today. This was well above market expectations of 1.4% growth. Growth in the first quarter was revised higher to 0.5% from 0.2%.

Germany's stellar performance helped the 16-member eurozone grow by 1% in the second quarter, the strongest growth rate since the first quarter of 2008 and a strong improvement on the 0.2% recorded for the first three months of this year. No detail is available yet, but exports, investments and a backlog of work in the construction sector after a harsh winter are expected to have been the main factors driving growth.

"After three difficult months of eurozone battering, today's numbers will help to heal the eurozone's wounds. For the first time since the second quarter of 2009, the eurozone outpaced the US economy," said Carsten Brzeski at ING.

America grew by around 0.6% in the second quarter of 2010, slower than earlier in the year.

More: German economy surges ahead at record pace | Business | guardian.co.uk

phew I'm glad I'm not working or living in a country that hasn't previously outsourced the strong manufacturing export market and would attempt to fix the terrible economic situation they're in by large scale spending cuts, increasing unemployment and tax hikes..
    The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

It's done wonders for the stock indices and the euro currency.
      How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
      Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post
        phew I'm glad I'm not working or living in a country that hasn't previously outsourced the strong manufacturing export market and would attempt to fix the terrible economic situation they're in by large scale spending cuts, increasing unemployment and tax hikes..

Nice over here isn't it? The Hollandland's doing quite nicely out of all this German industry as all the raw materials have to be shipped in and the German products have to be shipped out. 2.1% economic growth.
        And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

very nice. Sun, money, and lovely lovely I mean stunning woman. Oh and beer!

But try finding a good curry is only likely to lead to massive disappointment.
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post

very nice. Sun, money, and lovely lovely I mean stunning woman. Oh and beer!

But try finding a good curry is only likely to lead to massive disappointment.
            Adapt then - Tuck into a steaming plate of sausages and pickled cabbage.

In a year or two, you'll be complaining you can't get that in the UK
            Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
              Adapt then - Tuck into a steaming plate of sausages and pickled cabbage.

In a year or two, you'll be complaining you can't get that in the UK
              nicht gut herr owlhoot

Found a brttish shop in town who is making a roaring trade since my arrival

Did I mention the woman? I mean walking down town on a hot summers day is no easy... (I was going to say hard but might have gave the right impression)
              "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

But on the German news they're saying 'watch out!' It might be good but be cautious. Time to put my rates up methinks
                Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

We are nothing but an overpriced service provider these days

spot on.

German economy surges ahead at record pace | Business | The Guardian

How is it that the Germans can deliver a whacking 2.2% growth AND Britain delivers only half of that??

Training
                  Investment
                  Long-term thinking
                  Manufacturing
                  Social Contract
                  Moderation
                  Lack of a class system

As a resident in Germany, these are a few of the things I notice....

Comment

Working...
                  X