• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Working in Canary Wharf

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Working in Canary Wharf

I live in the Midlands and I have a chance of working on a contract in Canary Wharf. Should I try and commute (train to Euston 1hour and then across London) or is there cheap accommodation (travelodge?) that part of the world?

Anybody got any experiences/advice on Canary Wharf commuting/living? I must admit I usually pass on Canary Wharf contracts as the location looks a major stumbling block - in the current climate I may not be able to be so choosy.

Thanks for any responses

If you live anywhere near Milton Keynes, there's a coach (National Express MK1) which goes directly to Canary Wharf and is very comfortable and spacious and includes power sockets and wi-fi. I've only used it once when I happened to be in MK, but was quite impressed.

That's probably no good for you, but there are options like that anyway.

Comment

Midlands -> London Euston 1hr
      London Euston -> Canary Wharf via Bank and DLR 1hr
      The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

6M contract? banking? Get a 6M rental let (short term) some agencies do it. Many places around and would be cheaper than a hotel!

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post
          Midlands -> London Euston 1hr
          London Euston -> Canary Wharf via Bank and DLR 1hr
          I think you'll find it will take a tad longer than that, the dLR can be a tad slow.
          "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

WSS

Plus don't rely on Midland mainline being reliable.

You could rent a room across the river in Greenwich. So you will only have to take a boat across the river. There are lots of flats in the area which are part of new developments so a lot of them will have 2 bathrooms.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
              I think you'll find it will take a tad longer than that, the dLR can be a tad slow.
              Euston to CW, better taking northen line until it joins Jubilee (London Bridge/Waterloo), should be <40 mins

But as others have said, better to just rent locally. Either Isle of Dog's/Royal Docks or popular if you really are looking for cheap and nasty
              Last edited by Not So Wise; 13 August 2010, 14:59.

Comment

Had a quick look, 4 nights a week at Travelodge or Premier Inn in Docklands will set you back £350 ish. That is for next week. You may get a better deal if you book way in advance, and possibly move out to somewhere like London City Airport.

Congrats on the contract, if it really gets too much you can always call it a day.
                Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Originally posted by Not So Wise View Post
                  Euston to CW, better taking northen line until it joins Jubilee (London Bridge/Waterloo), should be <40 mins

But as others have said, better to just rent locally. Either Isle of Dog's/Royal Docks or popular if you really are looking for cheap and nasty
                  Try renting Mile End way, that way you're close to BowChurch but don't have to blow a bundle on rent.
                  "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by Glazza View Post
                    I live in the Midlands and I have a chance of working on a contract in Canary Wharf. Should I try and commute (train to Euston 1hour and then across London) or is there cheap accommodation (travelodge?) that part of the world?

Anybody got any experiences/advice on Canary Wharf commuting/living? I must admit I usually pass on Canary Wharf contracts as the location looks a major stumbling block - in the current climate I may not be able to be so choosy.

Thanks for any responses
                    Commute? No.
                    Cheap accommodation? Yes. Much cheaper than commuting, probably. And you'll remain sane. Commuting would kill you in a few weeks, I'd guess.

I'm back in Canary Wharf at the moment. Worked there on-and-off for the last 10 years. I actually quite like the place, much more so than The City. Mind you, I go in by motorbike, so I can't really comment on the DLR/Tube. If I was you, I'd just get a hotel for the first 2-3 weeks to see how the role turns out, then rent a one bed flat after that if things are OK jobwise.

Nomadd
                    nomadd liked this post

Comment

Working...
                    X