• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone moved over from Outlook to Gmail?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone moved over from Outlook to Gmail?

I'm pondering using Gmail full-time instead of Outlook. Seems like there are various techniques for moving old email from Outlook into Gmail, and assuming that one of these works, I won't any longer be tied to "my main PC".

Any pros / cons ? Anyone done this?

One issue for me is the limit of 5 POP3 accounts through Gmail, but I think I could just about live with it.

Have been doing this for a while now, and it does make life a lot easier. It's nice being a lot more mobile with e-mail , especially if you have a smart phone.
    "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

I've just moved my company email to google apps. Up to 50 email accounts, and 7GB storage per account. This is all free. There is a paid for option the gives 25GB per user, and improved SLAs.

I still use it with outlook (IMAP), but do like the easy access from any PC etc. Works well with my iPhone as well.
      SUFTUM

May life give you what you need, rather than what you want....

Comment

Originally posted by Netraider View Post
        I've just moved my company email to google apps. Up to 50 email accounts, and 7GB storage per account. This is all free. There is a paid for option the gives 25GB per user, and improved SLAs.

I still use it with outlook (IMAP), but do like the easy access from any PC etc. Works well with my iPhone as well.
        This. For quite a while now.

I access my gmail from several different pc, web browser and mac clients as well as my iphone. It all works quite well.

If one method goes down (as was widely reported about 9 months ago to the imap & pop3 services) you can normally use another one.
        ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Thanks all. I'll give it a go.

I think I'll stick with Outlook as the UI for now as I'm so used to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Netraider View Post

I basically do this, though I have the paid version. However as GMail gets better and better (HTML5 support) I use Outlook less and less... for basic email I don't see many things that needs a dedicated desktop app.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Moved some time ago. One of the things that sold it to me was the vastly superior search - saves me having to catalogue or index stuff and has been brilliant for finding info in mails from ages ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
                Moved some time ago. One of the things that sold it to me was the vastly superior search - saves me having to catalogue or index stuff and has been brilliant for finding info in mails from ages ago.
                WHS + the excellent spam filtering.

Comment

Working...
                X