• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bank of England boss Mervyn King set to write inflation letter to Chancellor George O

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bank of England boss Mervyn King set to write inflation letter to Chancellor George O

OMG, how can he cope with that?

Mervyn King will have to explain why the Bank's Monetary Policy Committee (MPC) failed again to meet its remit of 2pc inflation if, as expected, the annual rate was above 3pc in July.

Economists predict that data published by the Office for National Statistics on Tuesday will show that the Consumer Prices Index (CPI) – Britain's official measure of inflation – was 3.1pc, slightly lower than the 3.2pc annual rate in June.

CPI inflation has been above the target for much of the past four years, and above 3pc since the beginning of the year, persistently requiring Mr King to explain why the MPC is not tightening monetary policy to combat higher prices.

"It's not too hard to see why concerns have emerged that the MPC is ignoring the warning signs on inflation," said Jonathan Loynes, of Capital Economics, the independent research consultancy. "After all, it has underestimated the strength of price pressures over the last few years."

The latest forecasts from the Bank, published in its August Inflation Report last week, showed that it expects inflation to be above target until the end of 2011.

However, Mr King has repeatedly argued that high inflation will be the temporary result of one-off shocks – including higher fuel prices and, from January 2011, the rise in VAT to 20pc from 17.5pc – while a sustained UK economic recovery is not yet guaranteed. The inflation debate has caused division in the MPC, prompting one member – Andrew Sentance – to vote for a 0.25 percentage point rise in interest rates in June and July. Rates were again held at 0.5pc at the August meeting, minutes of which are to be published on Wednesday.

However David Page, economist at Investec, said the minutes could reveal the first three-way split in voting in two years. He predicted that two members voted for a further loosening of policy through an expansion of the Bank's £200bn quantitative easing target, after signs of a slowdown in the global economic recovery.

"We think that minutes to this meeting could prove interesting. Ahead of the decision, an apparent softening in pace of some international economic recoveries and deterioration in key domestic survey evidence went a long way to undoing the good news of improving financial market sentiment," he said.

Source: Bank of England boss Mervyn King set to write inflation letter to Chancellor George Osborne - Telegraph

-----------

Mervyn, just in case you are reading this - get the rates where they should be ffs - 5%+

"Georgie,

In terms of our unofficial policy of using inflation to erode our debt burden... everything is going to plan

Love

Merv"

Comment

It makes you wonder how committed the Bank of England is to this inflation target if it is prepared to let it slide for so long.

Comment

Well hang. The BOE supposedly stopped the economy hitting the rocks with QE, rescued the banks, dropped rates to the floor, they are untarnished in their righteous decision making throughout this crisis.

Are you saying this bunch of buffoons could not agree on the colour of coal?

Imagine what that will do to the pound if a lack of confidence becomes news...
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

I am one of the sad frackers that watched Merv on telly and has read the August Inflation report. Well, I tried to, because I kept thinking, "This is bollox" every few paragraphs and skipped on.

Chart 3 - CPI Projection in the Overview provides a nice summery. Nothing says, "We haven't a fracking clue" like that fan chart. Very wide and disperse. It is almost as bad as Chart 1 - GDP Projection. If I was employed in business and had presented charts like that, I would be sacked within the hour. (edit: And don't fall for the trap of where they have placed the horizontal line on chart 3; it is at 2% i.e. target, not zero.)

The use of interest rates to combat inflation is going to be hugely counter productive at this time as it would cause more damage elsewhere. However, weaning the institution off near-zero rates is going to be very difficult. For most people, they are seeing inflation far in excess of that measured by the CPI. At the same time there is deflation in asset prices and wages.

Thanks to the snot goblin the whole system is seriously fracked-up. It is going to take more than a generation to repair the damage; maybe as long as 50 years. Not only should that evil man stand trial (and be executed) for all this, but the likes of King should face questions of why they did not stand up to him. "I was only following orders", is no defence.
          Last edited by HairyArsedBloke; 15 August 2010, 09:00.
          How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
          Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
            Not only should that evil man stand trial (and be executed) for all this, but the likes of King should face questions of why they did not stand up to him. "I was only following orders", is no defence.
            But, but, the Bank of England is independent isn't it? So it wouldn't be allowing inflation to run out of control rather than apply a credit squeeze that would send the economy back into recession would it?

Comment

Independent, my arse! The reason why snotty gave the BoE ‘Independence’ back in 1997 was so he didn’t take the blame for the subsequent rise in interest rates that chubby exchequer Clarke had kept too low.

The BoE needs proper independence and it needs a broader target than the CPI that covers a range of asset prices, etc.

The problems didn’t start in 2008, but originated way back with the dawn of nuLieBore and the Clinton regime in the US.
              How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Comment

The issue is not so much as inflation but the fact that banks pay savings rates of 0% but they still lend at 5-7% or even higher.

Was there anytime recently such a massive margin between what they paid to savers and what they charged? Certainly not in the last 12 years I was here.

I could have understood if those profits were used to rebuild balance sheets, but it seems to me all most of that money just goes into bonuses.

Either way BoE does not do it's job - they should all be sacked for jailed for allowing real estate bubble to appear in the first place, but now their actions are plain criminal: stealing from people who saved money in order to bail out reckless debtors.

Comment

AtW, look there is a story about squirrels on the Daily Mail website. Please go and play quietly.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                    Well hang. The BOE supposedly stopped the economy hitting the rocks with QE, rescued the banks, dropped rates to the floor, they are untarnished in their righteous decision making throughout this crisis.

Are you saying this bunch of buffoons could not agree on the colour of coal?
                    On the contrary, I believe they fully know what they are doing - just that they are not being upfront with us about.

In order to save the economy in the medium term, basically money needs to be taken from those that have saved it - and handed out to those who have borrowed it. Now if any government announced this officially, there would be riots. But a policy of low interest rates and high inflation does just that.

On a macro economic scale, this is the best overall outcome for the economy as a whole. But it still has the effect of punishing those who saved and rewarding those who borrowed.

Karl Marx wouldn't have dreamed of this....

Comment

Working...
                    X