• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Dragons

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Dragons

Dragons' Den winner reveals £80k promise was in fact 'a loan' - of which only £26,500 ever emerged

She was known as the dragon slayer. And when Sharon Wright, a single mother from Scunthorpe, stepped from the 'lair' with more money that she had asked for, it really was a coup.

Never in its five-year history had there been such a confident performance on the TV show for entrepreneurs, Dragons' Den. The five hard-faced panellists, including Duncan Bannatyne, Peter Jones and Deborah Meaden, were moved to say her pitch was brilliant and it looked as though the £80,000 investment she was promised would propel Talpa Products, her fledgling business, into the commercial big time.

Yet what should have been a giant step for Sharon soon proved to be disastrous. Within months, she was on the verge of financial collapse – a state of affairs that she blames squarely on the BBC programme – followed by the spectre of a personal breakdown.

The expert help she was expecting from her slick new backers never came, she says. Nor did the £80,000 investment she was promised by the Dragons for a stake in the company: instead of giving her the money to buy into the company, they offered it as a loan. ( AtW's comment: loan for a large %-tage of the company presumably? )

Today, in an exclusive interview with The Mail on Sunday, the 40-year-old businesswoman tells how Dragons' Den nearly ruined her. Her account will shake the confidence of the programme's many fans and, in her opinion at least, casts doubt on the methods of James Caan, one of the show's star panellists.

She says: 'I was stunned. This is not what I had seen on TV. Viewers are given the impression that the money the Dragons provide is to buy equity in the business.

I didn't receive the monies that I expected, I didn't receive the support I needed and, more importantly, they were charging me for their services.

I felt hugely disappointed and disheartened.' She adds: 'I'd felt James had empathy for people. He had compassion. He was understanding. My opinion of him now has totally changed. In terms of the way he conducted business, I think he's out for himself.

More here:
    Dragons' Den winner reveals

-----------

AtW's comment:

"In effect, they had bought nearly a quarter of Sharon's company for£29 with the promise of loaning Talpa up to£80,000. There would be no additional money by way of investment and there was limited access to the interest-free loan which could be reduced at any point to whatever value the Dragons chose.

Also, the contract stipulated that the£80,000 loan had to be paid back 'as soon as the cash-flow of the company permits'. Sharon was particularly disturbed to learn that, in signing the contract, she had agreed that the two Dragons could charge a fee for their support.

She claims that in a meeting that took place in August 2009, she was told that she would have to pay an estimated £3,000 a month for 'services', including the use of a PR company recommended by Caan.

At the same meeting, she claims she was asked to reduce her salary from£50,000 to just£12,000. Indeed, it appeared she no longer had control of her own company. "

Comment

These people did not get rich through giving money away...

Comment

They thrive in the gap that exists between illegal and immoral practises. Less cunning or more morally upright people end up in prison or less well off, rather than TV.

Comment

If she had had any sense she would have walked into a plum permie job as soon as the show aired.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
            They thrive in the gap that exists between illegal and immoral practises.
            I don't think this gap is big enough to fit anything bigger than cockroach

Comment

James Caan was a dodgy agent and made his money from this company Alexander Mann Solutions - global leaders in Recruitment Process Outsourcing (RPO)
              "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

I don't like those dragons anyway.

So is this what they do to all the companies they "buy" equity from?

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
                  I don't like those dragons anyway.

So is this what they do to all the companies they "buy" equity from?
                  If I had a good business venture that needed capital I certainly would not want to go on TV with it because the idea would be copied by competitors. I watch the programme to get inspiration from the contestants.
                  "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

So all of you are convinced by a one-sided article in the Daily Mail? No need to investigate further?
                    I admire your analytical processes.
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                    X