• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Chestnuts & Spiders

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chestnuts & Spiders

As I've posted in the past I'm arachnophobic but living in the sticks means spiders are never very far away in the house. During the course of the summer I'll get dozens in the bedroom and Mrs Cliphead has the job of removing them.

I read somewhere that spiders don't like being in the presence of chestnuts and you'll never fine a spider web in a chestnut tree so I bought a couple of bags of chestnuts earlier in the year and put them in the bedroom. Result! Not a single spider so far this year.

The real test will be in September when Tegenaria duellica go walkabout and end up in the house - the big bastards that run like buggery across the floor usually.

So a less stressful summer than usual and good advice albeit anecdotal.
    Me, me, me...

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
    The real test will be in September when
    Moving house next month, will make sure it ain't got a garden so hopefully those beasts won't be around...

Comment

As I've posted in the past I'm arachnophobic ...
      How could anyone be scared of something as cute and cuddly as this:

Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Spids don't last long in this house. The Zipmogs can't resist things that scuttle.
        +50 Xeno Geek Points
        Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
        As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
          The Zipmogs can't resist things that scuttle.
          I guess Dr Zoidberg won't be visiting you anytime soon...

Comment

Males can often be seen wandering around during the late summer and early autumn looking for a mate.
            So that's what the randy little fast moving omni-directional critters are up to. I usually chuck them out the window after spending half an hour chasing them around the abode.

Comment

Get yourself a cat, you won't see any wee beasties (well maybe some leg remnants).
              "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
                Get yourself a cat, you won't see any wee beasties (well maybe some leg remnants).
                Cats are great for getting rid of spiders. Problem is our one leaves presents such as dead frogs and next door's prize koi. Nicer than spiders though.

Comment

They don't like Horse Chestnuts - gather lots of conkers in September/October and place in room corners etc.

Comment

...I read somewhere that spiders don't like being in the presence of chestnuts and you'll never fine a spider web in a chestnut tree so I bought a couple of bags of chestnuts earlier in the year and put them in the bedroom. Result! Not a single spider so far this year..
                    I'll pass the info onto my daughter - the only arachnophobe in the house.

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
                    They don't like Horse Chestnuts - gather lots of conkers in September/October and place in room corners etc.
                    Ah, this is where I came in.
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                    X