• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Backpacking/camping abroad

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Backpacking/camping abroad

Anyone been camping abroad recently? After a recent ultra sleeping rough holiday (not even taking a tent or sleeping bag, just skulking about at night looking for a place to lay down for the night in normal clothes), I've been thinking about going upmarket and buying a tent and a sleeping bag. Hotels are horribly expensive for the price of a bed, and are pretty grotty too. I might face paying for a camp site though, but if not a tent will make nights less long and unhealthy. Jesus, the places I kipped were rough. My feet are also covered in blisters from all the wandering about looking for places to kip.

Ideally I'd like all equipment to fit into one bag that can be carried as cabin luggage, to save on the extra cost of using the cargo hold. Then holidays, with Ryanair, could be more in the £100 bracket rather than £hundreds. Anyone got any experience of this? I do know some tents fold up into a compact size and are light weight.

Some friends went wandering around the Pyrenees a few years ago. There are trails & free cabins to kip in.
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

we've just got back from 17 days in USA, one night we spent in a wigwam, and decided to go out for a walk, after 2 minutes I nearly stepped on a rattle snake, not fun, I nearly pooped myself, I'd not got camping in the outback of USA, (this was near the Grand Canyon) I'd also not camp out in the Outback of Australia after an experience with a brown snake under our camping table. We did stay in other national parks which were wooded, these are fine, and I'd stay here again.
      SA says;
      Well you looked so stylish I thought you batted for the other camp - thats like the ultimate compliment!

I couldn't imagine you ever having a hair out of place!

n5gooner is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
      (whatever these are)

Comment

I've also camped in Europe whilst the World Cup & Euro 2008 were on. Both good trips, but with specific sites for camping.

You can get a tiny tent that will fit in a carry on, but will cost you more than 2 weeks in Benidorm.

You might also consider Etap and Formule 1 hotels which are cheap as chips.
        ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

"A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
            I have never seen anybody put one of those tents down that quickly before - normally you see folk struggling for 20 minutes to get it into the bag.

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
              I have never seen anybody put one of those tents down that quickly before - normally you see folk struggling for 20 minutes to get it into the bag.
              Too big to fit into an airline cabin bag anyway. I've seen some that are dead cheap and fold down to 32cm * 12cm * 12cm and weigh not much more than a kilo. Interesting suggestion though.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                Too big to fit into an airline cabin bag anyway. I've seen some that are dead cheap and fold down to 32cm * 12cm * 12cm and weigh not much more than a kilo. Interesting suggestion though.
                I suppose it depends what season & altitude.

I've got a gelert 2 person tent which is fine for the summer which cost about £20 and would fit in a carry on.

This one looks ok for one - Solo 1 person Lightweight tent from the home of great value camping equipment

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                  Anyone been camping abroad recently? After a recent ultra sleeping rough holiday (not even taking a tent or sleeping bag, just skulking about at night looking for a place to lay down for the night in normal clothes), I've been thinking about going upmarket and buying a tent and a sleeping bag. Hotels are horribly expensive for the price of a bed, and are pretty grotty too. I might face paying for a camp site though, but if not a tent will make nights less long and unhealthy. Jesus, the places I kipped were rough. My feet are also covered in blisters from all the wandering about looking for places to kip.

Ideally I'd like all equipment to fit into one bag that can be carried as cabin luggage, to save on the extra cost of using the cargo hold. Then holidays, with Ryanair, could be more in the £100 bracket rather than £hundreds. Anyone got any experience of this? I do know some tents fold up into a compact size and are light weight.
                  If you want to see Switzerland you could try. Gruppenhaus Schweiz - Lagerh or SAC - CAS: Search a hut
                  Standerd are high compared to UK.
                  Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
                    I suppose it depends what season & altitude.

I've got a gelert 2 person tent which is fine for the summer which cost about £20 and would fit in a carry on.

This one looks ok for one - Solo 1 person Lightweight tent from the home of great value camping equipment

PACK SIZE : 13cm x 31cm
                    What is it with tents and their packed volume missing a dimension? I'm also wondering whether that volume area includes long bits, such as poles?

Comment

Working...
                    X