• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Which Diving watch

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which Diving watch

I'm on the hunt for a new watch to use as a backup whilst diving. Basically, I've always had a cheapo watch to take on holidays, bash about etc but have finally discovered that "water resistant 100M" means you can wear it whilst brushing your teeth at most.

Anyone got a rec? - been looking at the Citizen and Seiko ones so far. Upto about £150

Don't need a full computer as this is just for timekeeping as a backup and for general roughing it.

TIA

Cheers PL

At that price, you won't get anything fancy in titanium.

Gents Scuba Diving Watches - Mikes Essex Dive Store - Upminster

I'd prob go for a Citizen - not sure about Aqualung & watch quality (their regs are pretty good though)

If you spend another £50 you could get a backup computer.

If I've got all my kit with me and I'm not renting I have a stinger on my wrist & a vyper on my console.
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

I can't give you any specific advice regarding which watch to buy but would suggest, once you have narrowed your search down, to check on eBay as well.

In 2005, I bought a genuine Seiko Sportura watch for everyday use for £160, from eBay, which was half the UK high street price.

I did my research beforehand and satisfied myself that the watch and seller were genuine.

Looking at the documentation received with the watch, the seller was 'importing' them from Singapore and selling them on eBay.

I suspect he was able to do this due to a combination, at the time, of a favourable exchange rate and also by managing to get them into the UK on the cheap.

If you'd like details of the sellers eBay ID, as he seemed to sell a lot of Seiko watches, let me know and I will PM you the details.
      (Just to note, I have no other relationship with this seller).

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
        I can't give you any specific advice regarding which watch to buy but would suggest, once you have narrowed your search down, to check on eBay as well.

In 2005, I bought a genuine Seiko Sportura watch for everyday use for £160, from eBay, which was half the UK high street price.

I did my research beforehand and satisfied myself that the watch and seller were genuine.

Looking at the documentation received with the watch, the seller was 'importing' them from Singapore and selling them on eBay.

I suspect he was able to do this due to a combination, at the time, of a favourable exchange rate and also by managing to get them into the UK on the cheap.

If you'd like details of the sellers eBay ID, as he seemed to sell a lot of Seiko watches, let me know and I will PM you the details.
        (Just to note, I have no other relationship with this seller).

you bought a genuine Seiko off of ebay for half of the price ?

how you know it's pukka squire ?

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
          you bought a genuine Seiko off of ebay for half of the price ?

how you know it's pukka squire ?

Milan.
          Solid construction, accurate timekeeping, genuine stamped paperwork and warranty.

In the 5 years I have had it, it has had one minor issue which resulted in me returning it to Seiko UK for attention and they never questioned its authenticity.

Admittedly, regardless of the research I did prior to purchase, there was the risk it may have been fake but I was prepared to take the risk for the sum involved.

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
            Solid construction, accurate timekeeping, genuine stamped paperwork and warranty.

In the 5 years I have had it, it has had one minor issue which resulted in me returning it to Seiko UK for attention and they never questioned its authenticity.

Admittedly, regardless of the research I did prior to purchase, there was the risk it may have been fake but I was prepared to take the risk for the sum involved.

do you do diving with it ?

if yes,

how can you risk buying a fake ?

Milan.

Comment

RUSSIAN SPECIAL FORCES DIVER WATCH, 70's, RARE!!! 8 on eBay (end time 01-Sep-10 05:31:20 BST)
              "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
                do you do diving with it ?

if yes,

how can you risk buying a fake ?

Milan.
                It's not a diving watch which is why my original reply started "I can't give you any specific advice regarding which watch to buy...".

Do try and keep up.

Comment

I'd be inclined to get a cheap plastic watch, fill it with white spirit and put it in a plastic bag. Bet that would work.
                  bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                  John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Good question. I'd say that as well as being waterproof at depths greater than you are, a decent diving watch needs a sapphire face, to avoid scratches on coral or metal diving gear and so forth.

Not sure if £1000 is within the OP's price range, but can anyone recommend a waterproof watch with titanium casing and a sapphire face, waterproof to 200m, for at most that?

Or are we talking at least 2 or 3 grand, or (gulp) even more?
                    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
                    X