• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Disabled? Parent with Child? Good Luck Parking at the Supermarket.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Disabled? Parent with Child? Good Luck Parking at the Supermarket.

Wheel clampers face private land ban

We all know some of these clamping firms are cowboys verging on gangsters, but what's your old mum going to do when she has to park hundreds of yards away from Waitrose (or Tesco) because of the 4X4 drivers who've taken all the disabled spaces whilst they pop in for twenty Regal?

(Bonus points to Professor Stephen Glaister for the standard technique of mentioning one exceptional case as if it's the norm.)

it's been banned in scotland for sometime...from what I've seen, they seem to be coping OK

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    (Bonus points to Professor Stephen Glaister for the standard technique of mentioning one exceptional case as if it's the norm.)
    What makes this an exceptional case?
    She happens to be a nurse yes, but it does raise the fact that the clamping firms are rather indiscriminate and people may have a extenuating circumstances when parking on private land
    Last edited by Spacecadet; 17 August 2010, 02:48.
    Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
      Wheel clampers face private land ban

We all know some of these clamping firms are cowboys verging on gangsters, but what's your old mum going to do when she has to park hundreds of yards away from Waitrose (or Tesco) because of the 4X4 drivers who've taken all the disabled spaces whilst they pop in for twenty Regal?

I have never seen a supermarket clamp a car. Have you?

I very rarely see a disable badge car used by a disabled person and even more rare is one who actually has difficulty in walking.

As for parent and child parking. Parents use these not only for infants but also when they have 16 yo kids.

Stop the disabled badge abuse and handing the out badges anyone with the slightest disability. Problem solved.
      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Clamping obviously in vogue today.

Front page of the Sun

People's champ beats clamps | The Sun |News
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
          I have never seen a supermarket clamp a car. Have you?

I very rarely see a disable badge car used by a disabled person and even more rare is one who actually has difficulty in walking.

As for parent and child parking. Parents use these not only for infants but also when they have 16 yo kids.

Stop the disabled badge abuse and handing the out badges anyone with the slightest disability. Problem solved.
          Our local Sainsbury has ANPR cameras that check you in and out. Overstay your welcome and you get a bill through the post.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
            This is a difficult one, someone may look fine getting out of the car but after going round the shop they could be broken & desperatly need thier car to be parked near by.

But yes I do think there is a lot of badge abuse.
            Growing old is mandatory
            Growing up is optional

Comment

Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
              Our local Sainsbury has ANPR cameras that check you in and out. Overstay your welcome and you get a bill through the post.
              They can only bill the driver. You are under no legal obligation to supply the driver details in a civil parking penalty.

PS

Can I swap my number plates to my german zoll plates in a private car park?
              Last edited by Paddy; 17 August 2010, 07:33.
              "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

I was glad to see a couple of cars clamped in our local park yesterday. Some people drive and park on the grass when they can't find a space on the side of the road, which is unfair on those who follow the rules. So it was nice to see it finally being "clamping down" on. Although when I passed the second clamped car, I saw it was a young female's who looked embarrassed and a little distressed. Wrong target maybe, as it's gangs who are the biggest problem. That and people who just couldn't give a stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                  Although when I passed the second clamped car, I saw it was a young female's who looked embarrassed and a little distressed.
                  She should park properly then.
                  Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
                  +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
                    She should park properly then.
                    Anybody else see the inherent flaw in the above statement?

Comment

Working...
                    X