• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A Trip to the Nene Valley Railway, Cambs

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Trip to the Nene Valley Railway, Cambs

Myself and a couple of chaps from the quartet have recently returned from a very enjoyable weekend at a steam up event at the Nene Valley Railway, Cambs. What I'd like to relate to you all here though is not so much details of our sojourn at said event but more our journey up there.

We left in the Tercel at 6am on Saturday with an ETA of 11 am and all was fairly uneventful until we got to Wisbech when my mate Malc let out an exclamation and pointed somewhere off to his right. Our gaze followed the direction in which he was pointing and there, emanating from behind the trees, was that unmistakable cloud of smoke that can only be produced by a steam locomotive. So we pulled over and tried to plot a route down to the trackside so we could get a closer look. It quickly came to our attention that this would mean crossing a field of wheat which had no apparent public thoroughfares traversing it and while I am normally a very thorough adherent of the countryside code I regret to say that we threw caution to the wind on this occassion and off we gambolled through the field down to the track. The sensation of wheat brushing against my legs reminded me of my schooldays and my art teacher, Mr. Joachim, who used to tell me how he liked to run nude through crop fields and revel in the sensation of the ears of wheat ticking his lower body. Funny how seemingly trivial things can transport one back in time in such a way.

Anyway, we got to the trackside and completely missed the loco as, by now, it had moved on half a mile or so and was no more than a speck in the distance. Also, there had been a deluge of rain at some point in time prior to our traversal of the field and said rainwater had wholeheartedly transferred itself from the ears of wheat with which we made contact to the fabric of our trousers.

This resulted in us removing our trousers and driving the rest of the way in our pants in order that we'd have something dry to wear upon arrival.

However, we shrugged it off and all had a giggle about how we must appear to the passing lorry drivers who could cast their eyes over to their left and observe 3 gricers in their pants hurtling down the A17 LOL ! Anyway, when we'd all finished laughing, Malc kindly decided to break his victuals with us and we all enjoyed his sandwich spread sandwiches in a layby while reflecting on how fortunate we are to be part of such a wacky crowd. Days like that make one glad to be alive!
    Last edited by gricerboy; 17 August 2010, 12:01.

Originally posted by gricerboy View Post
    The sensation of wheat brushing against my legs reminded me of my schooldays and my art teacher, Mr. Joachim, who used to tell me how he liked to run nude through crop fields and revel in the sensation of the ears of wheat ticking his lower body.
    There's something disturbing about this.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

I think its quite impressive that you've invented a new genre of post on CUK: the extremely dull, nerdy, homoerotic, gay twunt post.

HTH but IDI
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Look, if you're going to post Enid Blyton style crap at least try to give your characters better names. Might I suggest, Henry, Tom, Timmy etc. Also, Sandwich spread is just plain wrong. You're heroes should only ever be found eating Macaroons with Ginger Beer as the beverage of choice to wash them down.

Apart from that, the underlying homosexuality of your character is spot on although you have missed the opportunity to include some stereotypical "local types" thus giving us a chance to laugh at their funny accents and rural ways.

I give it 4/10.

Was this review helpful to you? [yes] [no]

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
          There's something disturbing about this.
          I've already thrown the Weetabix out, and I'm not sure about this sandwich now either.

Comment

Ah, there are several other sites of interest for gricers in that neck of the woods, near Wansford.

Comment

Threaded, you really need to get out more

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
                Sandwich spread is just plain wrong.
                Sandwich spread, my dear fellow, is the law. It's those tangy little bits of gherkin that do it.

Comment

The writing's actually quite good. If only there were some content. You do get a bonus point for reminding me of Janet & John stories on Wogan.
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
                    Ah, there are several other sites of interest for gricers in that neck of the woods, near Wansford.
                    How about a summer holiday here then?
                    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Working...
                    X