• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Working to Live, or Living to Work

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Working to Live, or Living to Work

What's your outlook on life as an IT contractor at the moment ?

Poll ...
    Working to Live - not bothered about being benched from time to time
    69.23%
    Living to Work - got to keep funding the 2nd missus and school fees somehow
    23.08%
    I am AndyW's gimp
    0.00%
    AndyW is MY gimp
    7.69%

I've given up on trying to make money other than to live on, I'd rather be close to home plus the benefits we receive are fantastic these days.

Spending less= Earning more, simples.
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

"I work to live not live to work" is the sort of idiot statement that you would expect from someone who's just asked you if you want fries with that.

Just accept that work is part of life and try to enjoy life in and out of work.
      Coffee's for closers

Comment

I genuinely enjoy working, but I wouldn't want to do it 24x7. It's all about balance.
        While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Try to only work 6 months of the year, got more money than most people I know and don't really need much more. 6 months work keeps everything topped up. Work to live for me.

It does help that the girly pulls in a wedge though.

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
            "I work to live not live to work" is the sort of idiot statement that you would expect from someone who's just asked you if you want fries with that.
            I never got beyond filling the fry racks when I worked at MacD's. I certainly didn't get any stars on my badge.
            And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

I was a KFC all star, it gave me an extra 20 pence per hour.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post

Were you 'crew member of the month' too?
                And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post

Did you wear more 'flair' than your subordinates?
                  Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

I do my work in the allocated time, any extra you pay me for it.

I certainly don't see the point in spending my life in the office, I have a long enough commute, but negotiate my hours and working from home to allow myself the chance to have a life.

Ideally I'd take a hit on my rate just to have less of a commute, but I'll hopefully only be stuck in the smoke for another year.
                    "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Working...
                    X