• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

At what age do you plan on retiring

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At what age do you plan on retiring

So when are you planning on jacking it all in and enjoying the fruits of your labours?
    35-40
    6.45%
    45-50
    19.35%
    50-55
    29.03%
    55-60
    3.23%
    60+
    41.94%
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Thats a tough one Dave.

I am fortunate and don't have to work, but choose to
    Your parents ruin the first half of your life and your kids ruin the second half

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB
      So when are you planning on jacking it all in and enjoying the fruits of your labours?
      Ahem, granularity is a bit sparse on my side of the scale....

Comment

Originally posted by MrsGoof
        Thats a tough one Dave.

What a coincidence. I too have only one of "have to" and "choose to".

Comment

Originally posted by MrsGoof
          Thats a tough one Dave.

Me too, I don't have to work either, but then I wouldn't really fancy having to live off just £50 a week that Labour would pay me for sitting on my arse having 50 kids at the age of 13 and smoking all the money away down the estate.

Comment

there should be an option for 'never'.

I want to die in harness.

I have sort of semi-retired (at age 43 and am 48 now) and get most of my income from property investments made in the good times. Fairly modest lifestyle but happy and relaxed. No mortgages or anything. Kids gone away - thank God. Wife also retired from proper work but does art and stuff.

I still like to design and code, and do consulting work and training for firms I know.

Think I would go mental through boredom if I had to hang out with all the boring old farts on the golf course all day. I hate gardening and DIY so it's back to the keyboard for me.

By the way Dave, I find your avatar strangely disturbing.
            Last edited by bogeyman; 31 January 2006, 14:57.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

What happened to 40-45?

Comment

Originally posted by Lucifer Box
                What happened to 40-45?
                Why are people who retire so dull?

Answer:

Because they have nothing to do other than become obsessed with the little thing in life
                Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent
                  Because they have nothing to do other than become obsessed with the little thing in life
                  I can assure you I have no intention of becoming obsessed with Sausage Jockey's knob when I retire. Assuming I live that long, of course.

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent
                    Why are people who retire so dull?

Answer:

I think there appears to be some confusion with the word "retire" with the traditional sense of getting the gold watch, pottering about the garden and then dying within 2 years.

I fancy cashing in around 10 years, sending any future kids down the (re-instated due to energy crises) coal mines, nipping off to the Maldives with a Twin Otter and fly a couple of tourists every now and then with my bare feet, retiring to my luxurious beach hut or boat with its own lagoon and white sand, drinking, fishing, tanning, exploring, sending emails and pictures of the place to people in the UK every now and then ...
                    If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Working...
                    X