• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Rise of the Mamils (middle-aged men in lycra)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rise of the Mamils (middle-aged men in lycra)

Men in tights

Research conducted by the retail analyst Mintel suggests there has been a surge in the number of middle-aged men choosing to get on two wheels.
    BBC News - Rise of the Mamils (middle-aged men in lycra)
    [eh, getting on a bike and slipping into lyrca are two separate "issues")

Anyway, I'm just off into town on my bike.

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    Anyway, I'm just off into town on my bike.
    Mind your perineal artery.
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
      Mind your perineal artery.
      I did a search on that and up came a picture of a man in lyrca in "shopping related results"

Perineal artery: Definition from Answers.com

Comment

This has been going on for years and years, but now they've decided to write an article about it. I can remember my father-in-law having a really expensive bike 25 years ago, when he was in his late 40s, and going on trips to France with his mates on pilgrimages to the great cycling routes. And quite a few of the older blokes I worked with in the 90s were into cycling big time. I used to commute by bike, which they considered beneath them. They had top of the range road bikes and all the gear, and it was for weekends only. And round where I live the roads are crammed with cyclists at the weekends (including the GB Olympic team sometimes).

Comment

As a fan of two-wheeled transport whether human or motor powered, I would never wear Lycra which I regard as an affectation by wannabe sporting types.
          A pinstripe, brogues, gloves and helmet is, I feel, de rigeur.
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
            As a fan of two-wheeled transport whether human or motor powered, I would never wear Lycra which I regard as an affectation by wannabe sporting types.
            A pinstripe, brogues, gloves and helmet is, I feel, de rigeur.
            I imagine cyclists wearing lycra are showing helmet too

Comment

Threaded

Comment

Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
                Threaded
                There's nothing like a fat middle-aged lycra-clad biker with a tiny button-like todger to put you off your breakfast
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                  Lycra is essential for keeping everything in place down below. I have the common courtesy to cover it up with a pair of baggy shorts though.
                  ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by dang65 View Post
                    This has been going on for years and years, but now they've decided to write an article about it. I can remember my father-in-law having a really expensive bike 25 years ago, when he was in his late 40s, and going on trips to France with his mates on pilgrimages to the great cycling routes. And quite a few of the older blokes I worked with in the 90s were into cycling big time. I used to commute by bike, which they considered beneath them. They had top of the range road bikes and all the gear, and it was for weekends only. And round where I live the roads are crammed with cyclists at the weekends (including the GB Olympic team sometimes).
                    Cycling is one of those sports where people above 35 can still achieve quite a high standard. Look at many speed based sports like footy, rugby or sprinting and most of the 35 plus brigade have lost their speed and just can't compete. The 40 plussers end up looking like idiots. In distance sports they can often carry on well into their 40s at a pretty good standard.

Even in old age, endurance can be pretty good, so it´s logical that older sportspeople take to cycling, marathon running and so on.

Not to say that I´ll be pulling on the lycra when I finally hang up the rugby boots; other outdoor sports like canoeing, dinghy sailing and possibly orienteering appeal to me more. Those racing bike saddles are scary.
                    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Working...
                    X