• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Pakistan

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pakistan

Just seen the latest on Pakistan on telly.

So why aren't people (en masse, not as individuals) giving their dosh?

Is it because the natural disaster was fairly mundane - flooding (hell, we get that here!) rather than an earthquake or tsunami?

Or do we associate Pakistan with the things we hear about on telly - so called honour killings, forced marriages and the like.

Or is it the reported terrorism links?

Why aren't we coughing up?

We send aid workers over there and they keep killing them.

Comment

They've never quite been as good since Imran Khan and Abdul Qadir stopped playing.

But yes, it's all bloody unfair on a lot of innocent people. I've done my pathetic little bit by handing over a couple of notes to an appeal, but I rather fear that some people see the word 'muslim' and semi-deliberately miss the concept of 'human being'.
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

They can afford nuclear weapons, why do they need our cash?
        Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
          They can afford nuclear weapons, why do they need our cash?
          Well, the corrupt bastard government can afford nuclear weapons, but some bloke who's just lost his house can't.

It's the way things go. Ireland's (British) government exported grain while the population starved. Ethiopia is one of the world's most fertile, greenest countries, but if some bastard with power wants people to starve, they starve.

The people who are suffering aren't Pakistanis to my mind, they're just people who need a bit of help. A whole family in Pakistan could eat for a day for the price of one glass of the average-to-middling muscadet I had with my meal this evening, so just sparing a little bit can't hurt.
          Last edited by Mich the Tester; 18 August 2010, 21:28.

Comment

Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
            Just seen the latest on Pakistan on telly.

So why aren't people (en masse, not as individuals) giving their dosh?

Is it because the natural disaster was fairly mundane - flooding (hell, we get that here!) rather than an earthquake or tsunami?

Or do we associate Pakistan with the things we hear about on telly - so called honour killings, forced marriages and the like.

Or is it the reported terrorism links?

Because on the whole Pakistan born Brits keep trying to blow us up in our own country.

It's like recently, two big stories in the news. 'A British child has been kidnapped in Pakistan', 'A British family have been shot in Pakistan' and then cue some Asian Northerner 'eee by gum, me arranged marriage to Abdul has gone wrong'

They're not British. They're Pakistani. Until you cut ties and become part of the 'British' society you're not going to get sympathy. In my personal opinion.
            What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
              Because on the whole Pakistan born Brits keep trying to blow us up in our own country.

It's like recently, two big stories in the news. 'A British child has been kidnapped in Pakistan', 'A British family have been shot in Pakistan' and then cue some Asian Northerner 'eee by gum, me arranged marriage to Abdul has gone wrong'

They're not British. They're Pakistani. Until you cut ties and become part of the 'British' society you're not going to get sympathy. In my personal opinion.
              try explaining this to a three year old who's lost his mum and hasn't eaten for a week

Comment

Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
                Could it be that they have made such a nuisance of themselves that nobody likes them much?
                How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
                Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post

Reckon you're right - we very rarely hear anything positive about Pakistan.

Feeling very sad about the whole thing. Charitable donations directly proportional to consumption of Chilean Malbec...

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                    try explaining this to a three year old who's lost his mum and hasn't eaten for a week
                    But thats the truth. As bad as it is, I don't believe that the plight of Pakistan (from a media/British perspective) & that it is a flood, falls into the same mindset as other natural disasters.
                    What happens in General, stays in General.
                    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Working...
                    X