• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Golden Brown (He will be after his book)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Golden Brown (He will be after his book)

I personally am starting to find this career path from politician to distuigished speaker and author quite irritating.

TB,Mandelson and now Brown all releasing books and getting paid stupid money to give public speeches.

Which is going to make them very rich, which means they will have more money to roam the world giving speeches and write books.

So what do a fly by night snake oil salesman, a thrice disgraced public servant and a dictatorial control freak have in common?

They have all become authors and are all public speakers and are set to do very well out of it.

Scepticism aside, are these men worth listening to? Do they have wisdom and intellect that now that they dont have demands of power, is worth taking note of? Does the fact that they have held high office mean that whatever they say is worth paying 6 figures for?

I personally would welcome the old days, when politicians who fell out of favour where grusomely tortured and executed publically. Bit of bloodletting and we all move on. Certainly would be more entertaining than reading Browns memoirs
    There are no evil thoughts except one: the refusal to think

Originally posted by sunnysan View Post
    I personally would welcome the old days, when politicians who fell out of favour where grusomely tortured and executed publically. Bit of bloodletting and we all move on. Certainly would be more entertaining than reading Browns memoirs

How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
    Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

These politicians have nothing worth listening to, it is just away of laundering dirty money.

1. Lobbyists approaches politician and asks for a favour: eg. Change of law, government contract etc. Lobbyists promises payment after politician retires so there is no hint of corruption.

2. Politician does favour for a corporate lobbyist.

3. Politician retires and gives speeches, becomes puppet director etc and gets paid an enormous amount out of proportion to what he is doing.

Unlike countries like Russian where corruption is crude and open the likes of AtW are too dim to notice corruption in the UK.
      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by sunnysan View Post

Scepticism aside, are these men worth listening to? Do they have wisdom and intellect that now that they dont have demands of power, is worth taking note of? Does the fact that they have held high office mean that whatever they say is worth paying 6 figures for?
        Coleen Rooney has at least 3 books out.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
          Coleen Rooney has at least 3 books out.
          I'd rather see her tits than Gordon Brown's.

Comment

Two things to remember:

1. Nobody buys Gordon Brown's books. I think his last one sold 22 copies.

2. However much of a s**t we think Mandelson is, someone telling us what really happened behind the scenes within his party is unusual, and welcome to those of us who suspected all along that they were just a bunch of incompetent c**ts. We just need someone to dish the dirt on Mandelson himself, as he obviously wasn't going to.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
              Unlike countries like Russian where corruption is crude and open the likes of AtW are too dim to notice corruption in the UK.
              "MOSCOW -(Dow Jones)- Russian corruption now generates an amount equal to at least 50% of the country's gross domestic product, an anti-graft watchdog said.

The annual report from the Association of Russian Attorneys for Human Rights, released Friday, comes on the heels of President Dmitry Medvedev's admission earlier this month that his year-long crusade against corruption has produced few results.

Russia's GDP last year was 39 trillion rubles ($1.2 trillion dollars), making the estimated turnover of its corruption economy around $650 billion annually. (AtW's comment: very crude corruption indeed.)

The most corrupt zone in Russia by far is financial nerve center and capital Moscow, the study found, followed by the surrounding Moscow region, with the republic of Tatarstan coming in third.

The volatile North Caucasus republics, many of which are rife with soaring unemployment and home to Islamic insurgencies, weren't represented in the study because "complaining about corruption or exploring the matter can be dangerous to the lives of citizens or researchers," said Yevgeny Arkhipov, head of the association.

Recent anti-corruption measures adopted by the government would come to nothing, Arkhipov said, because "there is still no real interest in achieving victory over corruption."

Russia finished in 146th place on Transparency International's Corruption Perceptions Index in 2009--a much lower ranking than its emerging market peers. Brazil, China and India finished in 75th, 79th and 84th place, respectively. "

Source: Russia's Corruption Generates Equivalent Of 50% GDP - Watchdog

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                These politicians have nothing worth listening to, it is just a way of laundering dirty money.
                WHS.

I imagine it also allows them to get together to conceive their next abominable ventures and to a have a good laugh at previous ones, and to sacrifice the odd virgin.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                  ... snip...
                  And it still only costs $50 to be let off any sort of minor crime.
                  ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
                    And it still only costs $50 to be let off any sort of minor crime.
                    The price raises steeply as you have to deal with higher echelons of power, their appetites are measured in billions of dollars.

Comment

Working...
                    X