• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Universe 'likely to grow forever'

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Universe 'likely to grow forever'

BBC News - Fate of Universe revealed by galactic lens

Professor Priyamvada Natarajan of Yale University, a leading cosmologist and co-author of this study, said that the findings finally proved "exactly what the fate of the Universe will be".
    Hmmm I think we'd need to understand the TOE before making such bold statements. We're just a bunch of monkeys on a rock, I don't believe we have the capacity to comprehend the real answers.
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    BBC News - Fate of Universe revealed by galactic lens

Hmmm I think we'd need to understand the TOE before making such bold statements. We're just a bunch of monkeys on a rock, I don't believe we have the capacity to comprehend the real answers.
    Or not...

Is Time Literally Slowing Down and Disappearing From the Universe?
    Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
      We're just a bunch of monkeys on a rock, I don't believe we have the capacity to comprehend the real answers.
      I don't believe that at all. Some might not. OK, most might not. Especially some of the frequent posters on this board and ALL of our political 'leaders', but it is not beyond the ability of the species and hasn't been for thousands of years.

It has only been that the intellectual and physical tools haven't been there and neither has the data or the time.

The humans will figure it out shortly. Not sure they will like the answers though.
      How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
      Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

The universe will end for all of us posting here long before then. Damn shame, as I wanted to know how it turns out.

Comment

Somebody roll another one please. This is just getting interesting.
          +50 Xeno Geek Points
          Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
          As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Dyson's eternal intelligence

Dyson's eternal intelligence (or the Dyson Scenario) is a concept that states an intelligent being would be able to think an infinite number of thoughts in an open universe [using finite resources].

The intelligent beings would begin by storing a finite amount of energy. They then use half (or any fraction) of this energy to power their thought. When the energy gradient created by unleashing this fraction of the stored fuel was exhausted, the beings would enter a state of zero-energy-consumption until the universe cooled. Once the universe had cooled sufficiently, half of the remaining half (one quarter of the original energy) of the intelligent beings' fuel reserves would once again be released, powering a brief period of thought once more. This would continue, with smaller and smaller amounts of energy being released. As the universe cooled, the thoughts would be slower and slower, but there would still be an infinite number of them.
            Dyson's eternal intelligence - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
            Unless someone leaves the cooker on.

Comment

The End of the Universe
              John Baez

Interesting sequence of events. The end is good. Or should I say the beginning:

In short: maybe the universe has already ended!

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                Dyson's eternal intelligence
                Dyson's eternal intelligence (or the Dyson Scenario) is a concept that states an intelligent being would be able to think an infinite number of thoughts in an open universe [using finite resources].

The intelligent beings would begin by storing a finite amount of energy. They then use half (or any fraction) of this energy to power their thought. When the energy gradient created by unleashing this fraction of the stored fuel was exhausted, the beings would enter a state of zero-energy-consumption until the universe cooled. Once the universe had cooled sufficiently, half of the remaining half (one quarter of the original energy) of the intelligent beings' fuel reserves would once again be released, powering a brief period of thought once more. This would continue, with smaller and smaller amounts of energy being released. As the universe cooled, the thoughts would be slower and slower, but there would still be an infinite number of them.
                Isn't that just a fancy-dress version of one of Zeno's paradoxes?

It may not be, for Dyson (assuming we're talking Freeman Dyson rather than James) is much cleverer than me, but it still sounds suspiciously akin to the dichotomy paradox.

The underlying assumption is that the stored energy is infinitely divisible. If, however, the principle that energy comes in the form of quanta holds, then at some point one would finish up with one quantum left, and once that was expended it would be Game Over.

Maybe quantum theory doesn't hold, however, in which case it makes sense.

Mildly : sometime at school in the mid to late Seventies, one of the teachers posted a clipping from New Scientist on a notice board in the labs which asserted that somebody had isolated a quark in a stable-ish form. If I remember correctly, they had managed to create a charge of one-third of an electron volt on a tiny sphere of something (possibly supercooled tritium, but this was thirty years ago and my memory is hazy). I thought that was pretty damn amazing at the time; as for the stuff that's come out of the sub-atomic particle world since then... well, the only bit I really understand is the World Wide Web, but that alone is proof that apparently recondite scientific research can lead to tremendous benefits in the real world

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post

Mildly : sometime at school in the mid to late Seventies, one of the teachers posted a clipping from New Scientist on a notice board in the labs which asserted that somebody had isolated a quark in a stable-ish form. If I remember correctly, they had managed to create a charge of one-third of an electron volt on a tiny sphere of something (possibly supercooled tritium, but this was thirty years ago and my memory is hazy). I thought that was pretty damn amazing at the time; as for the stuff that's come out of the sub-atomic particle world since then... well, the only bit I really understand is the World Wide Web, but that alone is proof that apparently recondite scientific research can lead to tremendous benefits in the real world
                  It might have been an early manifestation of the Quantum Hall Effect , although that article says this wasn't discovered until the early '80s.

It's been known since the 60s that quarks can't be isolated - If you start pulling a pair apart, new quarks pop up between them. See Color Confinement.
                  Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

If the universe expands continuously, it must stretch the stuff thats already there. not the lumpy bits, but the 'glue' bits inbetween.

I have noticed that at night, when the northern hemisphere is facing away from the centre of the universe, my willy gets smaller, due to galactic gravity. In the morning, it gets stretched out again by the pull of the universe.

(\__/)
                    (>'.'<)
                    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Working...
                    X