• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contractor creating 400,000 new jobs

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contractor creating 400,000 new jobs

Foxconn hiring 400,000 new workers, locating closer to home

They are even providing entertainment to help decrease the number of suicides*.

They build iPads/pods etc.

Boomed. Oh dear.

*which is actually a non-issue when considering the sheer vastness of the numbers involved. Not as funny though.

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    Foxconn hiring 400,000 new workers, locating closer to home

They are even providing entertainment to help decrease the number of suicides*.

They build iPads/pods etc.

Boomed. Oh dear.

*which is actually a non-issue when considering the sheer vastness of the numbers involved. Not as funny though.
    I wonder is the rate of suicides among their employees greater or less than that in the general population, when adjusted for age and gender.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
      I wonder is the rate of suicides among their employees greater or less than that in the general population, when adjusted for age and gender.
      It was only 12 out of 900,000 workers, which would be hard to much meaningful statistical analysis with I imagine, especially as it's lower than in the general population.

Comment

It was only 12 out of 900,000 workers, which would be hard to much meaningful statistical analysis with I imagine, especially as it's lower than in the general population.
        900,000 is a big sample. Assuming a suicide rate of 15 per 100,000 per year in the general population the probability of only 12 suicides in a sample of 900,000 people is vanishingly small. I think we can safely say that Foxconn employees are less likely to commit suicide than the average Chinese person.
        While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
          900,000 is a big sample. Assuming a suicide rate of 15 per 100,000 per year in the general population the probability of only 12 suicides in a sample of 900,000 people is vanishingly small. I think we can safely say that Foxconn employees are less likely to commit suicide than the average Chinese person.
          About 1/10 of the expected amount, as extrapolated from the general population, using the above figures (and rounded in my head). Although the period over which the 12 deaths occurred (which may not be a year, perhaps a few years) isn't given. They don't seem particularly lemminglike anyway.

Comment

About 1/10 of the expected amount, as extrapolated from the general population, using the above figures (and rounded in my head). Although the period over which the 12 deaths occurred (which may not be a year, perhaps a few years) isn't given. They don't seem particularly lemminglike anyway.
            Ah, a link off that page provides a bit more info.

The investigation exposed grim working conditions in the factory that has seen nine suicide attempts, with seven confirmed deaths, in less than six months.
            So say 15 a year.

Comment

My money on the bloke on the left.

Foxconn gets the pompoms out to raise morale at 'suicide factory' - Asia, World - The Independent

Woo said it was common for workers to have 80 hours a month of overtime, but Foxconn was aiming to reduce the workload and become the first company in the industry to keep overtime to a maximum of 36 hours a month – as required by Chinese law.
              More red tape reducing productivity. Price of iPads going up soon.

Comment

Working...
              X