• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hinckley...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hinckley...

What's good, bad, indifferent about the place?

I'm there, on and off for 6 months.

Thanks...

T

Originally posted by Tingles View Post

Thanks...

T
    Horrible child murderer from the 60s. But I understand that her beach was nice
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Thanks...

T
      There's a very quiet beach next to it, the sea is warmer than average.
      Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
        There's a very quiet beach next to it, the sea is warmer than average.
        I hail from the village of Spaxton which is just a stone's throw from Hinckley Point. God's own country in my opinion. You could get yourself accomodation in the village of Combwich (pronounced Cummitch) which neighbours the power station.

As far as drinking establishments go, I don't have any recommendations I'm afraid since I don't imbibe alcoholic beverages. I have heard, however, that the Malt Shovel at Cannington has an agreeable atmosphere and they regularly hold quiz evenings and such like.

Comment

Originally posted by gricerboy View Post
          I hail from the village of Spaxton which is just a stone's throw from Hinckley Point. God's own country in my opinion. You could get yourself accomodation in the village of Combwich (pronounced Cummitch) which neighbours the power station.

As far as drinking establishments go, I don't have any recommendations I'm afraid since I don't imbibe alcoholic beverages. I have heard, however, that the Malt Shovel at Cannington has an agreeable atmosphere and they regularly hold quiz evenings and such like.
          Why does that name not surprise?

Comment

I'm currently working with a guy who said he used to earn £1200 a week at 'the point' for carrying someone else's tool box.
            Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
              I'm currently working with a guy who said he used to earn £1200 a week at 'the point' for carrying someone else's tool box.
              My step father worked there for years as a site foreman. He retired 20 years ago and is 83 still has a £1000 per week pension from the superannuation scheme they had.

He does of course glow in the dark which is offputting.

Comment

D'oh! I thought it was a little arse of a place between Birmingham, Nuneaton and Leicester.

I was struggling with the something nice bit. Bad and indifferent posed no problems.
                Jim is a Jedi! - Dara
                Jim is EVIL! - Jenny Eclair

Comment

Thanks...

T
                  Hinckley - Leicestershire ?

Good points -
                  close to the M1/M69
                  there is a Greggs in the town centre
                  couple of pubs

Bad Points
                  One way system when trying to park in or around the town.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                    Why does that name not surprise?
                    Affectionatley known as Spackers by those of us that have close associations with the community.

Incidentally, there are some very intresting historical facts surrounding Spaxton.
                    In the middle of the village exists an old chapel which hasn't been used for the purposes of Christian worship for a good number of years.
                    At one point, The chapel was used as a studio by the production team responsible for Ivor the Engine, The Clangers and other such staples of the
                    5.35 five minute slot before the daily evening news on the BBC back in the Nineteen Seventies. More interestingly, however, is what is revealed if one delves a little further back in time.
                    It turns out that the chapel was once the focal point of a rather bizarre Victorian christian cult who made their home in Spackers. The point of interest surrounding this cult is that all female follwers, upon reaching the
                    age of 16, would be de-flowered on the alter by the vicar in front of the whole congregation. Lucky him, I think, though I don't think I'd be able to raise myself to full salute with so many people watching.

Comment

Working...
                    X