• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sprinter Trains and other ridiculous product names

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sprinter Trains and other ridiculous product names

This morning, due to a bugger-up by the railway people which left hundreds of people on an intercity train to the Hague which mutated into a train to Rotterdam after Utrecht, I found myself sampling the misery of a 'sprinter' train from Gouda to the Hague.

'Sprinter'; just think about the connotations of that word. Powerful yet graceful, even elegant movement at very high speed. A capacity to accelerate and then almost glide, seemingly effortlessly, with a serene appearance to the face, while the heart and legs pump out almost superhuman levels of power. All in all, quite exciting to watch. None of these characteristics are to be found on 'sprinter' trains. Somewhere in some miserable marketing office, a group of deluded, fat middle aged tossers must have wrestled with their notepads for hours, trying to dream up a name for a slow, rattling, mucky, uncomfortable and downright ugly contraption that they had decided to release upon the railroads of 'Hare Majesteit'.

Really, couldn't they have just called it a 'local train'? WHY do large companies run by fat impotent blokes have to trade in grossly ambitious euphemisms that can serve no other purpose than to disappoint the customer?

What are your favourite examples of ambitiously named, yet thoroughly disappointing products and services?
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

KY Jelly.

I always thought it should be called lubricunt.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
      KY Jelly.

I always thought it should be called lubricunt.
      No that's the other way round. KY Jelly sounds fairly neutral, but lubricunt would suggest the proximity and availability of a human vulva, which probably doesn't apply to a lot of IT people who might buy the product.

Comment

Boring. A sprinter is a person sprinting, if we assume the first use of the word is for people, rather than a generic word for 'short sharp effort'.

Certainly when I sprint it is not super-human, elegant or powerful. But I'm still sprinting
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Us Gricers rarely refer to the names of classes of locos or multiple units by the designated name given them by the manufacturer.
          As you rightly pointed out this nomenclature is sadly wide of the mark. Here's a little taster of the names we have for various items of roilling stock on the British Rail network:

Any diesel or elctric multiple uint = bog unit
          class 21 dmu = bubble car unit
          class 28 dmu = Hampshire Hog
          Class 50 loco = Hoover
          Class 44/45/46 loco = Peak (and I'm a member of the legendary Peak Army LOL)

Furthermore, I'm often disappointed by the names given to individual locos these days. years ago, locos would have names like Thor or Thunderer. The train I go ion last night was called "Margeret Wilson, Mum of the Year 2008".

I rest my case.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            Certainly when I sprint it is not super-human, elegant or powerful. But I'm still sprinting
            No you are not sprinting. You are running assuming you are relatively fit, or more realistically for the average bod, wobbling. 'Sprinting' is not a generic term for wobbling a bit faster than usual, but an elite activity, reserved for the most highly trained athletes and those animals provided by nature with great speed and grace, such as cheetahs, gazelles and horses. And it doesn't have anything to do with slow, crappy trains.

Comment

Originally posted by gricerboy View Post
              years ago, locos would have names like Thor or Thunderer.
              Yep, bring them back, but make sure they're big, powerful, fast and noisy!

I think the Deltic prototype must be the coolest looking loco in history, but the Mallard and the TGV get close.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                No you are not sprinting. You are running assuming you are relatively fit, or more realistically for the average bod, wobbling. 'Sprinting' is not a generic term for wobbling a bit faster than usual, but an elite activity, reserved for the most highly trained athletes and those animals provided by nature with great speed and grace, such as cheetahs, gazelles and horses. And it doesn't have anything to do with slow, crappy trains.
                Bollocks! I thought you played Rugby.

I can run for hours(lope along) but sprint for only a minute or so at a time.

Comment

What are your favourite examples of ambitiously named, yet thoroughly disappointing products and services?
                  Plopp chocolate in Sweden, I cannot think why anyone would want to bit into something brown with a runny centre named Plopp
                  The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Yep, bring them back, but make sure they're big, powerful, fast and noisy!

I think the Deltic prototype must be the coolest looking loco in history, but the Mallard and the TGV get close.

And the nois terms, the class 52 diesel hydraulic "Westerns" that used to run in the Western region up until the 1980s

Comment

Working...
                    X