• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sloppy interview process

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sloppy interview process

Had an experience last week with a bit transport company in the midlands - somewhere around Atherstone I think.

Agency puts four people forward. All four people go through a telephone interview in Week 1, then in Week 2 (last week) they all have to do a face to face which lasts 2 hours, involves a coding test and a design test as well as discussion on the role and their CV.

After all this, client picks no one.

Guy from client turns up to interview with his shirt hanging out and scruffy hair and acts totally disinterested in finding the right person.

Oh and no feedback was provided - just a simple NO to the agent who didn't even bother to ring the candidates to tell them they were unsuccessful.

Cost all of us candidates at least a half day to a day's contract rate plus travel costs to have our time completely wasted.

There's definitely something wrong with this client - starts and ends with the letter 'T' - if they interview 4 exceptional bods and then can't determine after speaking to the agency, vetting them there, doing a phone skills interview and a 2 hour face to face - to get the right guy. Something wrong with their process and it was a sloppy interview to boot.

If anyone experiences or is approached for a role with these lot, head in the other direction.

Originally posted by mavster07 View Post
    Something wrong with their process and it was a sloppy interview to boot.
    It's not the client's job to put in the effort during your sales pitch.

Comment

I've had a similar experience with an IB recently; chatting direct to their team (no agent) phone and face to face interviews then nothing.

Had to call to find out results and then no feedback provided, no-one seemed to know what was going on!
      B00med!

Comment

possibly they were testing out the market and seeing what was available at their budget
        Coffee's for closers

Comment

I had an interview with TxT about 9 months ago and while they said I had all the skills needed - they decided that I would be bored with the gig and that I would need something more interesting.

2 hour interview with 4 people - one of them a contractor who said to HR and line manager that I had all the skills needed.

Comment

Originally posted by Advocate View Post
            I've had a similar experience with an IB recently; chatting direct to their team (no agent) phone and face to face interviews then nothing.

Had to call to find out results and then no feedback provided, no-one seemed to know what was going on!
            With investment banks, it was ever thus....
            Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
              It's not the client's job to put in the effort during your sales pitch.

Yeah, its their job to show they are interested. Not to show up like they just got out of bed.

Comment

There's definitely something wrong with this client - starts and ends with the letter 'T' - if they interview 4 exceptional bods and then can't determine after speaking to the agency, vetting them there, doing a phone skills interview and a 2 hour face to face - to get the right guy. Something wrong with their process and it was a sloppy interview to boot.
                How do you know all 4 or infact any were exceptional?
                Coffee's for closers

Comment

Interviewer may well have had his own agenda.

Perhaps he had a friend he wanted to get in there instead.

Comment

Had an experience last week with a bit transport company in the midlands - somewhere around Atherstone I think.
                    I worked there for a brief period a couple of years ago. First and only gig I have walked out on.
                    Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
                    +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Working...
                    X