• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A serious SKA question for AtW

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A serious SKA question for AtW

On StatCounter I get an Ad for 1,000 backlinks for $9.99.

Now I know why and all that, but what I am wondering is how SKA treats them. Does it treat them in the same way as all the other links in your database including those to pages that no longer exists?
    How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
    Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

SKA remembers outgoing links found on crawled pages and tries to follow them at later date - some links might redirect to another location (tinyurl.com is good example), sometimes (especially with ads) it is not possible to follow them due to robots.txt restrictions.

Comment

So there is difference between legit and bogus backlinks?
      How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
      Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
        So there is difference between legit and bogus backlinks?
        What do you mean by "bonus"?

Backlink is a backlink - some come from less important sites, some from more: SKA can see that reasonably well.

Human analysis can pick up a lot of other stuff such as quality of site, whether it looks like paid link or not etc.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post

SKA remembers outgoing links found on crawled pages and tries to follow them at later date - some links might redirect to another location (tinyurl.com is good example), sometimes (especially with ads) it is not possible to follow them due to robots.txt restrictions.
          Sounds like web crawling has some similarities to disassembling. That's another situation where one has to trawl through jump and call "links", and defer these for later examination.
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

I think HAB is talking about link-farming, and the answer is SKA doesn't try to treat them specially or detect such things? Doesn't Google try to detect where several sites all link a lot to each other, and discount the importance of those links? You rarely seem to get spam sites coming top in Google searches so I assume they use heuristics and other algorithms to try and detect this stuff.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              I think HAB is talking about link-farming, and the answer is SKA doesn't try to treat them specially or detect such things?
              SKA shows data "as found" with a few additional metrics that allow human analyst to decide if this link is indeed valuable or not.

In the near future we'll be adding more metrics to help reach such decision quicker.

Comment

Working...
              X