• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

More Doom: Immigration cap will devastate UK companies, employers fear

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More Doom: Immigration cap will devastate UK companies, employers fear

The Guardian

The usual suspects:

Companies are looking to export call-centre, IT and finance jobs, according to a study by the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development (CIPD) and the accounting giant KPMG. Two-thirds of those putting work offshore intend to take jobs to India, a third to China and three out of 10 to eastern Europe. The CIPD warns that more jobs are being sent offshore, and that an immigration cap, imposed too quickly, could have a "devastating" impact on the economy.
    CIPD - Humain Remains
    KPMG - large consultancy

nuff said
    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    The Guardian

The usual suspects:

CIPD - Humain Remains
    KPMG - large consultancy

nuff said
    Bovered

Is it not preferable that Bob works in India rather than the UK?
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
      The Guardian

The usual suspects:

CIPD - Humain Remains
      KPMG - large consultancy

nuff said
      So business is squealing? Good.

The arrangement where business takes all the profits from cheap workers but pay none of the social costs has to stop.

It's time to pay up for British workers or for these parasites to **** off.

And If you want to increase your blood pressure this Sunday read the editiorial on the same issue in the Guardian.

The cap on immigration cannot hold | Observer editorial | Comment is free | The Observer

For many organisations, having international staff is a benefit rather than a reflection of skills shortages. The multinational company bringing a senior executive from its New York office to its HQ in London, the ballet company hiring the newest talent from Cuba, or the academic department recruiting great minds reflect the fact that in many fields the UK has become a global centre of excellence
      I love the examples of immigration the Guardian gives. What proportion of the immigrants we've seen in the last decade are Cuban ballet dancers?

What planet are these journalists on?

Comment

Originally posted by Flashman View Post
        What planet are these journalists on?
        This one, the one where their readership is in all the jobs that matter in this regrard.
        How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
        Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

For many organisations, having international staff is a benefit rather than a reflection of skills shortages
          It's not like they're making existing people leave or banning ALL immigrants. Those businesses can find international staff in the UK in the big pool of unemployed already here.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

The arrangement where business takes all the profits from cheap workers but pay none of the social costs has to stop.
            You're a man of sense and observation Flashman. That quote encapsulates what much of "The jobs british people dont want to do" is about.

Major companies will make sensible decisions in their own interest and that may include outsourcing overseas where wages are much lower. Fair enough, probably not much we can do about that, apart from erect trade barriers which have many downsides, not least that of making our own workforce even lazier and more complacent. It probably makes more sense to let developing countries do those things and pursue more profitable, higher tech industries.

But if these companies take on migrants on very low wages in the UK, given our much higher cost of living, they are generally not enough to support a family on. They only need to spend a few years in the UK and that low paid worker can apply for permanent residence and may well have a family by then. Who picks up the difference between what he needs and what he earns? The rest of us via the welfare system. Subsidising the UK call centre industry sector, tiny ethnic restaurants, taxi firms, data inputters and the like makes even less sense than using taxpayers money to prop up British Leyland. At least Leyland workers spent their money in the UK and helped fund our own economy rather than send much of it abroad. Check out the government's welfare statistics.

Perhaps that article should say who these complaining firms are. Spend just a little time on Jobseekers Allowance and conscientiously apply for anything going, share a cheap property with migrants, live in a run down neighbourhood and actually mix with them and you will find out. Major companies in the UK will use the big reputable operatives, whether they are in the UK or Bangalore. The little firms staffed by underpaid ethnics in the UK are of very questionable value except to the owners. They are the bloody nuisances who call your phone umpteen times a day, who fill your letterbox with junk mail, who turn up on your doorstep or hang around at motorway service stations trying to flog you things, who deluge your mailbox with spam. If they go under for lack of staff willing to work for a pittance they will probably do us all a favour.

PS And many are verging on fraudulent. Implying they are sponsored by or associated with major companies when they are not.
            Last edited by xoggoth; 22 August 2010, 15:01.
            bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
            John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
              making our own workforce even lazier and more complacent.
              Is that much worse than unemployed workforce?

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                You're a man .....[YAWN]....when they are not.
                Yup, all migrants are just plain scum aren't they? I say get rid, ship all business overseas and we can live off the land again.
                McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
                Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Another one. Just a trotted out soundbite which has nothing to do with the point. We were not talking about immigration generally but specifically about the very low paid sector which, as Flashman says, does not contribute enough to pay for the social costs. No counter argument to any specific point. Just smear, just abuse.

Some of you people on here are an utter waste of space, you appear not to read anything that is said, you cannot argue, you have no ability to think.

Four legs good
                  Two legs bad
                  Four legs good
                  bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                  John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Hang on, you mentioned immigrant several times there...and your post was not about immigration?

I'd say that if it weren't for the low paid sandwich makers (and similar), the economy would come to a grinding halt. As the vast majority of "natives" aren't willing to work for anything below what a banking executive makes, where do we find someone to make sandwiches?
                    McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
                    Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Working...
                    X