• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Burgled

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Burgled

House was broken into last night whilst we were out having a meal. We got back and disturbed the buggers as they were still here, found stuff packed up in pillow cases and laptop bags etc. They legged it with my car keys but nothing else was taken. First time it's ever happened to me.

Our house security is a bit basic (decent locks but nothing else) and I've been meaning to get an alarm installed since we moved in over a year ago which I will definitely be sorting out this week and I'm starting to think of other measures e.g. cctv.

Do any of the board members have any hi-tech security solutions? DVR recorders? IP cameras? I'm probably in knee-jerk mode at the moment and cctv is unnecessary but would be interested to hear your thoughts?
    It's about time I changed this sig...

Originally posted by MrRobin View Post
    would be interested to hear your thoughts?
    Firearms.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      Firearms.
      Um, thanks, AtW. I was thinking more along the lines of protection for when I was out. Until Cyberdyne starts the next production run on the T101, I need an alternative.

Comment

Um, thanks, AtW. I was thinking more along the lines of protection for when I was out. Until Cyberdyne starts the next production run on the T101, I need an alternative.
        SKAnet will soon be fully operational

Comment

Bad news. How did they gain entry? Presumably you've got to change your cars locks?

Hmm, I wonder if you can reprogram the car CPU (or whatever it is called ) and the car keys that have chips in them.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
            SKAnet will soon be fully operational
            Cool. What does it do? Post tulip on a UK Contractor site?
            What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
              Cool. What does it do? Post tulip on a UK Contractor site?
              I would not want to take your job away from you ...

Comment

House was broken into last night whilst we were out having a meal.
                My sympathies. Horrible feeling, I felt violated when it happened to me.

We got back and disturbed the buggers as they were still here,
                Did you actually see them? How did they know you were on your way back as it sounds like they had the whole place staked out, which in turn implies the property is/was being watched, therefore it's fairly likely they will be back if you didn't ID them as they now have a feel for what's inside and what the layout etc is.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                  Bad news. How did they gain entry? Presumably you've got to change your cars locks?

Hmm, I wonder if you can reprogram the car CPU (or whatever it is called ) and the car keys that have chips in them.
                  Through a ground floor window. Double glazed so they prised the frame rather than breaking the pane.

Yeah need to find out whether the locks need changing or if we can just reprogram the key fob / lock transmitter. Garage not open on a Sunday so the car is living elsewhere at the moment!

Comment

Originally posted by SofaKingdom View Post
                    Did you actually see them? How did they know you were on your way back as it sounds like they had the whole place staked out, which in turn implies the property is/was being watched
                    Unfortunately didn't see them, they must have heard us coming up to the front door or when we were unlocking it. We heard them drop stuff as they scurried away, I think they must have seen us right at the last minute, rather than them having a lookout / watched from a different location.

Originally posted by SofaKingdom View Post
                    it's fairly likely they will be back if you didn't ID them as they now have a feel for what's inside and what the layout etc is.
                    All the more reason to get some additional security measures in place asap!

Comment

Working...
                    X