• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Motorists face £250-a-year tax to park at work

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Motorists face £250-a-year tax to park at work

It had been thought plans for workplace parking levies would be abandoned after ministers declared an end to the "war on motorists" within days of the Coalition's formation.

But The Daily Telegraph has learned that a number of local authorities are actively examining introducing the charge in an attempt to raise funds. They include councils in Bristol, York, Devon, Hampshire, Leeds, Bournemouth, South Somerset and Wiltshire.

About 10 million people drive to work every day and many – particularly those in remote areas without public transport – will be dismayed that they could now have to pay to park. Local authorities are facing the biggest cash squeeze in a generation and Eric Pickles, the Communities Secretary, has said they need to start finding other ways to increase revenue

More: Motorists face

----------------

Oh FFS - SKA Ltd rents offices that come with 3 free parking spaces that are included in rent, however we still have to effing pay business rates on them ffs - £500 per year each!!! When I had a chance I asked publicly civil servant from our local authority wtf our company has to pay business rates on employee parking, we don't run car park ffs, he said I should not be suprised!

Originally posted by AtW View Post
    The Daily Telegraph has learned
    Really? It never shows much evidence of learning

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      Local authorities are facing the biggest cash squeeze in a generation and Eric Pickles, the Communities Secretary, has said they need to start finding other ways to increase revenue
      How about they stop giving away shedloads of our hard-earned, to feckless little sluts that get themselves needlessly up the duff then?

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

There are loads of positions in the council that could go. Like cutting the councillors in half. Is there any explanation why where I live I am "represented" by three councillors!
        And when I was growing up the bin truck driver actually got out of the truck. these days they just drive and smoke their fag.
        Its all too easy to just stick the locals for more money.
        McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
        Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
          ...Like cutting the councillors in half. ...
          Harsh, but fair.

Lengthways or widthways?
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
            How about they stop giving away shedloads of our hard-earned, to feckless little sluts that get themselves needlessly up the duff then?

For once, I agree with you!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
              Harsh, but fair.

Lengthways or widthways?
              Lengthways please.
              McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
              Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

I love the way this (and many other) article is written as if they are cleverly uncovering some kind of secret.

Despite what one minister said about ending "the war on motorists" (I wasn't aware one had been declared in the first place) as far as I know its within the remit of councils, not central government to introduce these schemes within existing legislation, and I'm sure the councils mentioned in the article have had plans at some stage of development for a while.

Also I say good, there's too much traffic.
                Last edited by Robster; 23 August 2010, 13:38.

Comment

One council will do it, probably Nottingham who have been considering it for ages.

Other councils will then eagerly await the outcome. They will send delegations (by rail!), and there will be some excitement as they finalise their own plans to fleece the motorists to "redress the imbalance between free commuter parking for some staff at office complexes".

Then they will all quietly shelve the idea when they see big To Let signs springing up around the business parks of Nottingham.
                  Cats are evil.

Comment

Working...
                  X