• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Oh, and this annoys me too

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh, and this annoys me too

BBC News - Rise in top grades boosts GCSE record

NASUWT General secretary Chris Keates said: "The coalition government must guarantee that all 16-18 year olds are guaranteed a place in education or training. This is the only way to avoid another lost generation of young people."

Look here, Mr Keates, some people are just too damn thick to train to do anything other than yomp around carrying heavy objects. Some of those are even too weak to lift heavy objects, and so are set to work sticking stickers on boxes or packaging stuff. What do you want? A national qualification for 'yomping about with heavy stuff'?

The whole point of a qualification or an education is that is sets you aside from the people who haven't got one and thereby gives an indication, no more or less, to any prospective employer, that you might actually be capable of doing the work he needs done. Once you hand it to everybody that purpose is lost.

Call me an elitist if you will, but I think this whole idea that every 16 to 18 year old can and must be given training is PC claptrap.

Then there's this;
    Shadow Education Secretary Ed Balls said claims that exams had got easier were "complete and utter nonsense" and said students were working harder and being better taught than in the past.

Of course, Mr Bollocks. New Labour have raised a generation of goldenballs who wouldn't think of wasting their youth on sex and drugs and rock and roll, or bikes, beer and birds in my case, no no, they are all diligently studying to get that highly desired place on an NVQ Level 1 Burger Flipping course, so they can all be part of some utopian society where everybody is happy and wealthy and pleasant all day.

And what's going on in Scotland?

Students aged 15 and 16 in Scotland take standard grade exams, and received their results in early August. The pass rate was similar to the previous year.

Has human evolution ground to a halt north of the border, the country that gave us Adam Smith, James Maxwell, Alexander Fleming, to name but a few? I don't think so; I suspect those nasty Scots, having got their own little governmenty thingy, are actually insisting on applying some sane standards to their education system, knowing that before long they'll profit from that.

FFS

And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    What do you want? A national qualification for 'yomping about with heavy stuff'?
    It's called the PRMC

Comment

Thickies might be good at some practical vocation like carpentry or plastering or painting.

I do agree though there must be people who are thick, clumsy, and weedy... in fact it seems they tend to hang around CUK... but what can you do? People who are genuinely unable to be trained to do anything are pretty rare though if you rule out severely mentally disabled folk.

I think the Scots might just be a thick nation though

edit: cripes, I don't want to follow CyberMan, admin I don't mean it!!!!
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
        It's called the PRMC
        No. The Royal Marines need people who can do stuff like read maps, give clear, concise information to superiors, read signs on buildings like 'Nursery School' before shooting at the occupants, tie their own shoelaces etc etc

There are plenty of people who are too dim for that work.

Of course, the upshot of this is that if the Libservatives actually apply tougher standards and the number of passes and A-double-gold-stars goes down, Liebore will then say 'look how those awful tories are ruining the future of our children by cutting investment in education!'
        And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          I think the Scots might just be a thick nation though

edit: cripes, I don't want to follow CyberMan, admin I don't mean it!!!!
          Weel its too late noo laddie!!!!!!!! The damage his been done..........yur Dooooommeedddd I tell ye!
          “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
            No. The Royal Marines need people who can do stuff like read maps, give clear, concise information to superiors, read signs on buildings like 'Nursery School' before shooting at the occupants, tie their own shoelaces etc etc

There are plenty of people who are too dim for that work.

Of course, the upshot of this is that if the Libservatives actually apply tougher standards and the number of passes and A-double-gold-stars goes down, Liebore will then say 'look how those awful tories are ruining the future of our children by cutting investment in education!'
            I was being ironic.

Well, attempting to be.

Comment

Mostly agree. All 16-18 year olds being guaranteed a place is cods. We need a more selective approach to ensure a) they have the potential to get a qualifiaction and b) the qualification they get will actually help them get a better job. Otherwise we are just contributing to the so called "pensions timebomb" by reducing time spent paying tax.

There is however a problem in that apprenticeships don't really exist anymore for the majority who are not likely to get academic qualifications but have more potential than box shifting. Some of the more practical subjects learned at college are substitutes for those, in theory anyway.
              bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
              John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Can't we use the scroats as foodstuff for the Bobs?
                How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
                Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
                  Can't we use the scroats as foodstuff for the Bobs?
                  The flavour would be too bland and the texture too coarse. Besides, they wouldn't fit in the tandoor.

Comment

Originally posted by rsingh View Post
                    The flavour would be too bland and the texture too coarse. Besides, they wouldn't fit in the tandoor.
                    Hang about, who let all these fussy Bobs in? Wasn't the point to hire loads of bodies that would do what they were told, put up what they were given, and not complain?
                    How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
                    Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Working...
                    X