• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A Disturbing New Trend

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Disturbing New Trend

Following on from leaves on the line, the wrong kind of snow and nausea inducing Pendolino trains there appears to be a new menace stalking the British rail network.
    This is something of which I have direct experience and while I don't wish to bore you all with the minutiae of these occurrences, I will outline my most recent experience as an illustration.

Last week, I caught the 8:14 pm service from Cardiff Central to Warminster, Wiltshire. The rolling stock consisted of a 4 car unit and I would say the train was running at about 25% of full capacity. Now, I know there were no problems with this train as I was listening intently throughout the course of the journey as I was noting the frequency of clicketty clacks for my survey on the discontinuities in continuous rail on the rail network (i think i may have mentioned this before). So you can imagine my surprise when, upon pulling alongside Platform 3 at Bristol Temple Meads Station, we were informed that, owing to a technical fault, we would have to disembark and board another train on Platform 5. On reaching platform 5 and seeing the single car set awaiting us for the remainder of our journey, it suddenly dawned on me what was going on here. Ostensibly, we were detrained due to a technical fault but the reality of the situation was that, since we were running at low capacity, our rolling stock was sequestrated to furnish the needs of another service.
    As I said, this was not an isolated incedent and I am in the process of chronicling my experiences for submission in a report to the Association Of Train Operating Companies so I would like to solicit your views on the subject and would be very interested in particular to hear from anyone who has themselves been subjected to an involuntary detraining of such a nature.

4 car train running at 25% capacity. Passengers rehoused on a 1 car train and spare carriages used to make up shortfall elsewhere. Can't see a problem myself. Just get on with it you tedious dimwit.

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
      4 car train running at 25% capacity. Passengers rehoused on a 1 car train and spare carriages used to make up shortfall elsewhere. Can't see a problem myself. Just get on with it you tedious dimwit.

But if he really existed rather than being one of threaded's sockies, it would have resulted in some innocent traveller having to sit next to him.

Comment

I can never understand why train carriages/buses/coaches are always the same stupid great heavy things. Why not have small ones on lesser used routes? On the roads round here you frequently have to crawl along in the hedge when you meet a dirty great bus blocking most of the road. There are usually a couple of old ladies in it.
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
          But if he really existed rather than being one of threaded's sockies, it would have resulted in some innocent traveller having to sit next to him.
          Good point. Now that WOULD be disturbing!!!

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post

Firstly, I would say that it was wrong because we were detrained under false pretences.
            Secondly, I would say it was wrong because there were elderly and disabled people on board who were subjected to the
            distress of having to descend and ascend 2 long flights of stairs and of a condsiderable perambulation through the underground thoroughfare connecting the 2 platforms.
            Thirdly, I would say it was wrong because I had to negotiate my recumbent bicycle along the aforementioned route and then had great difficulty in manouevring my cycle into a position deemed acceptabl;e by the guard on board the 1 car unit.
            Fourthly, I would say it was wrong because we pulled into Warminster, Wiltshire 6 minutes late and I missed the warm up for the concert in which I was performing.

Comment

Originally posted by gricerboy View Post
              Firstly, I would say that it was wrong because we were detrained under false pretences.
              Secondly, I would say it was wrong because there were elderly and disabled people on board who were subjected to the
              distress of having to descend and ascend 2 long flights of stairs and of a condsiderable perambulation through the underground thoroughfare connecting the 2 platforms.
              Thirdly, I would say it was wrong because I had to negotiate my recumbent bicycle along the aforementioned route and then had great difficulty in manouevring my cycle into a position deemed acceptabl;e by the guard on board the 1 car unit.
              Fourthly, I would say it was wrong because we pulled into Warminster, Wiltshire 6 minutes late and I missed the warm up for the concert in which I was performing.
              Slightly off topic, but what's the legal position with regard to public transport providers on accessibility for older and disabled persons, and Daleks? Aren't they legally required to provide lifts or ramps for these groups, as an alternative to stairs?

Comment

WGAS?? Be grateful you have trains unlike several 3rd world countries

Secondly, I would say it was wrong because there were elderly and disabled people on board who were subjected to the distress of having to descend and ascend 2 long flights of stairs and of a condsiderable perambulation through the underground thoroughfare connecting the 2 platforms.
                They would most likely have to do that anyway at their final destination, plus if the train had really of broken down then they would have to cope at that station

Thirdly, I would say it was wrong because I had to negotiate my recumbent bicycle along the aforementioned route and then had great difficulty in manouevring my cycle into a position deemed acceptable by the guard on board the 1 car unit.
                Again, if it had broken down you wold have been in the same position and sounds like the guard himself had a chip on his shoulder, happens all the time on public transport the world over

6 mins !!! 6 mins !!!! anything less than 30 mins late and I'd be grateful on the British railways..

Efficiency of rolling stock caused you in this instance to move trains and arrive 6 mins late, now can you tell me how the "broken train" stck was used? if they were used to allow a bursting full train of commuters to not have to sniff each others armpits and possibly get a seat then it was a good decision by the rail company IMO.. you only see/moan about it from one perspective, we would need the greater picture to judge fairly..

this could easily have been a tale of "we were stuck on a full train but how delightful 3 new carraiges arrived and although we were delayed 20 mins it made the whole journey far more pleasant.."
                The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Following on from leaves on the line, the wrong kind of snow and nausea inducing Pendolino trains there appears to be a new menace stalking the British rail network....
                  Apparently it's called gricerboy.

Though menace is probably overstating.
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

I bet third world trains are a darn sight cheaper. If it only cost me 50p from London to Birmingham I would be quite happy to cling to the roof. Even happier if there was goat next to me.
                    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
                    X