• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hating people on the internet…

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hating people on the internet…

…seems just a bit sad to me. Of course, we know of the classic, if somewhat tasteless, poster of a handicapped kid and the slogan ‘arguing on the internet is like running in the special Olympics; even if you win you’re retarded.’

But some people, and I’m not mentioning names, seem capable of maintaining feuds against other users, spewing out bilious insults and relieving their urge to spout cloacal language over another person they have probably never met, and seemingly harbouring genuine hatred against a person they know almost nothing about. Given that despite disagreeing with someone on various issues of the day, it’s quite possible that if you meet some other user he might turn out to be a likeable individual with which you have much in common, what is the point of holding slanging matches?

So if arguing makes you a retard, what does that say about genuinely disliking another user?
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    …seems just a bit sad to me. Of course, we know of the classic, if somewhat tasteless, poster of a handicapped kid and the slogan ‘arguing on the internet is like running in the special Olympics; even if you win you’re retarded.’

But some people, and I’m not mentioning names, seem capable of maintaining feuds against other users, spewing out bilious insults and relieving their urge to spout cloacal language over another person they have probably never met, and seemingly harbouring genuine hatred against a person they know almost nothing about. Given that despite disagreeing with someone on various issues of the day, it’s quite possible that if you meet some other user he might turn out to be a likeable individual with which you have much in common, what is the point of holding slanging matches?

So if arguing makes you a retard, what does that say about genuinely disliking another user?
    Well it's ok if you don't argue with the other user then, because then you can genuinely dislike them without being a retard. Easy, next.
    But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

I mostly only hate people on the internet when I'm doing Google Android dev. It keeps me in a permanent rage.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by Gibbon View Post
        Well it's ok if you don't argue with the other user then, because then you can genuinely dislike them without being a retard. Easy, next.
        I agree with Gibbon -
        Bazza gets caught
        Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
          I agree with Gibbon -
          Be careful, you're probably out on your own there.
          But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

In real life if I insult someone I will lose all my front teeth. Therefore, I leverage the internets forums to have a real pop at some anonymous user and thus fulfill my urges.
            Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

I've said it before and I'll say it again...(possibly NSFW Language)

Courtesy of Penny Arcade
              "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
                In real life if I insult someone I will lose all my front teeth. Therefore, I leverage the internets forums to have a real pop at some anonymous user and thus fulfill my urges.
                That makes me glum.

Why can't we all just get along!

Comment

Originally posted by Gibbon View Post
                  Be careful, you're probably out on your own there.

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
                  I've said it before and I'll say it again...(possibly NSFW Language)

Courtesy of Penny Arcade

Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
                  That makes me glum.

Why can't we all just get along!
                  You crack me up sometimes... Mr argumentative!!
                  Bazza gets caught
                  Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
                    You crack me up sometimes... Mr argumentative!!
                    Yes I am.

Comment

Working...
                    X