• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Best site for DRM-free online music purchasing?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best site for DRM-free online music purchasing?

I've used Amazon before, anywhere known for being cheap or having other benefits like ability to re-download freely, etc?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

iTunes?
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

gomusic?
      "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
        iTunes?
        That's not DRM free. I've had a right nightmare trying to get my stuff on iTunes onto a memory stick to use in my car. The car has a Windows Media Player thing and will only read the stuff I haven't bought. Apparently you can get converters (which are illegal) but it seemed like such a pain that I just bought the things I really wanted again off a potentially dodgy Russian site called Legal Sounds or something.
        Qdos Contractor - IR35 experts

Comment

Originally posted by Qdos Consulting View Post
          That's not DRM free. I've had a right nightmare trying to get my stuff on iTunes onto a memory stick to use in my car. The car has a Windows Media Player thing and will only read the stuff I haven't bought. Apparently you can get converters (which are illegal) but it seemed like such a pain that I just bought the things I really wanted again off a potentially dodgy Russian site called Legal Sounds or something.
          I though iTunes was DRM free on 80% of their catalog?

Seems to be at a fee.

Apple iTunes Store goes '100% DRM-free' - allegedly
          Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
            I though iTunes was DRM free on 80% of their catalog?

Seems to be at a fee.

Apple iTunes Store goes '100% DRM-free' - allegedly
            That still leaves you with the issue of getting tunes off itunes and on to non itunes compatible hardware.
            For that reason, I avoid itunes
            Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
              That still leaves you with the issue of getting tunes off itunes and on to non itunes compatible hardware.

DRM-free tracks from iTunes use the industry standard AAC encoding, which replaced MP3 and is supported by just about everything made in the past five years (and a fair amount of older stuff too).

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
                PodToPC - works for me.

Comment

Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
                  PodToPC - works for me.
                  Ah, of course - AAC has only been an industry standard since 1997, so naturally Microsoft haven't yet added support for it

Yet, strangely, the Zune supports it - this implies that the Media Player in Windows CE is more capable than the one they ship with their desktop OS

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post

DRM-free tracks from iTunes use the industry standard AAC encoding, which replaced MP3 and is supported by just about everything made in the past five years (and a fair amount of older stuff too).
                    Hmm, apart from anything else iTunes (or maybe MacOSX) seems to put a load of other files in with the music, so copying files is a bit more involved than select, copy, paste.

Also, no way am I putting iTunes on my PC. And my Mac is used my my wife, don't want to risk screwing up her iPod-sync using it.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                    X