• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What is the maximum load that I could put through a double socket?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is the maximum load that I could put through a double socket?

In my office room I have a double socket that I will, at times, want to run 11 electrical devices off of. 2*6 extension cables. This is starting to make me slightly nervous, obviously it depends on the power usage of the devices but they are monitors, computers, hi fi separates, monitor speakers, keyboards and such, probably averaging 100 something watts each. 1500 watts sounds OK but 11 devices is quite a lot.

Am I in the safety zone? If so what is the safety zone?

Room was rewired 10 years ago so I imagine it is up to a decent standard.

*expects some ridicule*

Is it an African or European socket?
    Coffee's for closers

Comment

seriously though, each extension cable will be fused (13amps max) and that should give you protection against the wall bursting in to flames from the wiring being overloaded
      Coffee's for closers

Comment

and max watts per socket @13amps is about 3,120
        Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
          In my office room I have a double socket that I will, at times, want to run 11 electrical devices off of. 2*6 extension cables. This is starting to make me slightly nervous, obviously it depends on the power usage of the devices but they are monitors, computers, hi fi separates, monitor speakers, keyboards and such, probably averaging 100 something watts each. 1500 watts sounds OK but 11 devices is quite a lot.

*expects some ridicule*
          You will be fine.

An individual ring is going to support at least 13A, which equates to 3kW. You can check the breaker in the fuse box to get a better idea of the limit on your wiring, in theory (i.e. according to the regs) the cable should be rated for at least 2/3rds of the rating on the breaker, most likely it will 2.5mm^2 or 4mm^2 which is good for 20A+

I personally used to run 3 x 8 way adapters off a single ring. The devices varied from 200W or so for the PC down to 10-20W or less for most of the wall warts & rack mount boxes, keyboards etc. I work it out from the wall warts as DC current * DC voltage = power, then double it to account for PSU inefficiency / power factor and to stay on the safe side. When I worked it out the whole lot came to less than 6A.

Didn't you say you had an engineering degree?
          Last edited by doodab; 25 August 2010, 16:13.
          While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post

*expects some ridicule*
            Simplistically P=I*V

so 13 * 240 = 3120W hence why a 5KW oven requires a thicker cable. But you will get surges if tyou turn them all off and on at the same time.
            But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Anyone who says 'off of' should be electrocuted.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
                seriously though, each extension cable will be fused (13amps max) and that should give you protection against the wall bursting in to flames from the wiring being overloaded
                A trick of the trade is to replace the fuse with a nail. You can the get 110 amps easily.
                "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                  A trick of the trade is to replace the fuse with a nail. You can the get 110 amps easily.

me and OH rolling eyes watering lol

how long do you get this before the fire brigade arrives?

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
                    Double socket?

Getting warm?
                    But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Working...
                    X