• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

good to see common sense prevail

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

good to see common sense prevail

Sorry, don't have a Link for this but I was relieved to learn that the coalition are not going ahead with the proposed reduction in the drink drive limit. Read it in the Mail earlier in the week. Apparently the minister responsible for whatever department dealt with this was concerned about the impact on rural pubs.

You can bet your bottom dollar that NU Lab would have steam rollered this one through. The thing that gets me is that the proponents of the reduction claim that the change would save 65 lives a year. How on earth do they come up with these figures? Presumably they look at fatal accidents where the person at fault had between 50 and 80 mg of alcohol in their blood. Which ,of course, is completely crass because it negates all other causal factors.

Anyway, in a month in which one of my country locals closed and another became yet another curry house, I have to say I was heartened to hear this news.

As somebody who does not indulge in the consumption of alcoholic beverages, I feel I am qualified to take a stand on your wholly irresponsible thread.

I think drinking alcohol is a disgusting habit and it debases the human condition. People who drive with any alcohol in their bloodstream AT ALL are, in my humble opinion, a menace to society.

Vis a vis your post, what about the 65 people who are now going to lose their lives so you can indulge your filthy habit? You say the figures are made up. I say they're not. Let's put some faces to the 65 shall we? It's that little old lady down the street, those 2 brownies you see walk past your window every Tuesday on their way to their pack meeting, the little boy on his spacehopper, the vicar riding past on his sit up and beg cycle and yes - the young chap on the recumbent bicycle.

My conscience is clear. Personally I don't see how you can sleep at night.
    Last edited by gricerboy; 25 August 2010, 20:31.

Comment

Originally posted by gricerboy View Post
      As somebody who does not indulge in the consumption of alcoholic beverages, I am totally unqualified to pass comment on those who do, so I shall refrain from making any comment so as not to appear like an interfering busybody

FTFY
      “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

a load of bollocks
        You're a cracker mate.

Comment

How people died...

I like this one:

Traumatic amputation at neck level:
          Male 11
          Female 2
          Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
            How people died...

I like this one:
            "traumatic amputation"..............as opposed to laid-back run-of-the-mill stress-free amputation?

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

I think drinking alcohol is a disgusting habit and it debases the human condition.
              One thing I have figured out in my relatively short life is that every man has a vice, and its usually those who are the most critical of others' vices, who have the worse vices themselves.
              There are no evil thoughts except one: the refusal to think

Comment

As somebody who does not indulge in the consumption of alcoholic beverages, I feel I am qualified to take a stand on your wholly irresponsible thread.

I think drinking alcohol is a disgusting habit and it debases the human condition. People who drive with any alcohol in their bloodstream AT ALL are, in my humble opinion, a menace to society.

Vis a vis your post, what about the 65 people who are now going to lose their lives so you can indulge your filthy habit? You say the figures are made up. I say they're not. Let's put some faces to the 65 shall we? It's that little old lady down the street, those 2 brownies you see walk past your window every Tuesday on their way to their pack meeting, the little boy on his spacehopper, the vicar riding past on his sit up and beg cycle and yes - the young chap on the recumbent bicycle.

My conscience is clear. Personally I don't see how you can sleep at night.
                Has it occurred to you that a zero limit would greatly increase the amount of absenteeism, with people worried about being over the limit the next morning after a night out taking days off. That would include ambulance drivers, fire engine crews, train drivers, etc, etc.

If that figure of 65 had any credibility whatever (which it hasn't), it would probably be more than offset by the number of deaths the extra absenteeism would cause.

P.S. I wouldn't lose any sleep if the guy on the recumbent bicycle ended up under a truck.
                Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

The recumbent

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                  P.S. I wouldn't lose any sleep if the guy on the recumbent bicycle ended up under a truck.
                  I am sure the sales department at the Daily Mail would disagree.
                  There are no evil thoughts except one: the refusal to think

Comment

Working...
                  X