• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Health & Safety at Work

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Health & Safety at Work

Whats the deal with a companies responsibility concerning workstation set up.

I'm on a client site at the moment where I will be based for months to come. I have no desk allocated and must 'hot desk' every day. You can only book three days ahead.

I have a desk I keep doing this for, got a seat I'm happy with at the right height. Anyway forgot to book it last night and some tolchock has booked it.

Now at another desk, wrong set up again, not comfortable.

So I'm at a desk with a laptop, head at an angle down, getting a bad neck again.

I've asked for a fixed desk and a monitor, but it was all half hearted. Going to make a point about it now.

Is the client responsible to make sure your desk is set up properly!!!

(fffcking hotdesking with laptops!!!)
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post

I'm on a client site at the moment where I will be based for months to come. I have no desk allocated and must 'hot desk' every day. You can only book three days ahead.

I have a desk I keep doing this for, got a seat I'm happy with at the right height. Anyway forgot to book it last night and some tolchock has booked it.

So I'm at a desk with a laptop, head at an angle down, getting a bad neck again.

I've asked for a fixed desk and a monitor, but it was all half hearted. Going to make a point about it now.

Been there, bought my own chair and desk. I almost always use my own laptop and use VM for special set-ups.
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

I had a contract once when some idiot suggested I sit on a small filing cabinet as there were no free desks. I complained to the PM.

PM (from consultancy firm): well, we just have to deal with it, cos that's how it is

Me: Actually, I don't, I'm on 5 days notice.

A week later I had my home office up & running.
      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

The Health and Safety (Display Screen Equipment) Regulations 1992 spell it out very clearly.

Your employer is responsible for ensuring that your working environment is safe.

It contains provision for self employed 'operators', as it describes them, where the responsibilty still lies with the 'employer' providing workstation but says nothing about thrid parties working for another company.

My interpretation is that you as a director of YourCo ltd are responsible for you, as an employee of YourCo Ltd, having a safe working environment.

How you go about doing that is up to you but I can't see that it's the clients responsibility under the terms of the legislation. I'd guess that it's somthing that larger co's would agree in contractual terms before they do business with each other when they will have their own staff waroking on each others sites..
        "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Well I was going to tell the client, that the boss of my LTD had told me to work at home until it was sorted. As I am the boss, I agreed with him.
          What happens in General, stays in General.
          You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Thought you'd be used to all this with your extensive caravanning background.

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Working...
            X