• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Which PM course to take up. Switch from Techie to PM.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which PM course to take up. Switch from Techie to PM.

Hiya Folks,
    My first post on these forums. Hope you “seniors” can help me out with some wise advice! Am 28 years old, from India and have been working in the UK five years now (well five years in December! ..bring on my ILR ). I am a Computer Science Engineer by qualification and my background is in Data Management, Virtual Systems Administration and a wee bit of programming experience. The AGILE method of working is followed at my current place of work and I’m assisting my team lead in Scrum Master duties (might even be sent on a certification course for Scrum Master. Hopefully!). I plan to move into the contract market once I get my ILR (am a permie now), specifically into Project and/or People Management as People Communication is one of my biggest strengths and that is the career path I want to follow as well (possibly an MBA a few years down the line).

The question I have for the experts in here is as follows: Am looking to head over to India on a short holiday in early Jan 2011 and attend a one to two week training course and complete a certification in one of the following ('coz it's cheaper there) PRINCE2, PMP or ITIL. Having looked at websites such as PMP Contracts, Contractor Rates for PMP Qualifications it turns out the rate offered per day decreases in the order PMP>PRINCE2>ITIL. I have also looked at the job market via CWJobs.co.uk and JobServe and a lot interest in the market seems to be toward the AGILE methodology these days… PRINCE2 and PMP are lukewarm (or seem to me to be so.. maybe I’m not searching right?).

Which one to pick?

Secondly, is there any chance that a guy like me with a sum total of 6 years of experience (5 in the UK + 1 in India), but no direct Project Management experience can hope to land a contract role in today’s market? I’ve got Team Lead and Release Management experience though. Haven’t had hardcore techie roles in my career so far so am kind of stuck in-between wanting to get into Project managent and being able to do a little bit here and there technically…..

Any help and advise appreciated.

Thanks Guys, GLG

P.S: Yep, I know about the name

Hmm, this thread smells of bu.......

Comment

First, a few questions.....
      How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
      Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
        First, a few questions.....
        Not sure if it's an issue with my browser but.. am not able to see anything but the first line in both the above replies!

Comment

Originally posted by Greatlookinguy View Post
          Secondly, is there any chance that a guy like me with a sum total of 6 years of experience (5 in the UK + 1 in India), but no direct Project Management experience can hope to land a contract role in today’s market?
          That's the more important question. The answer is yes, but it won't be pleasant. If you are going to get in ahead of a more experienced PM, you will need to go in at very much cheapness with a client who has burned through their budget and is very desperate. The kind of project that a normal PM wouldn't touch with a bargepole. Repeat x3 and after a couple of years you will emerge a proper PM, if you don't go insane first.

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
            Hmm, this thread smells of bu.......
            Just when you think the last one has gone...

Maybe it's true, who knows, I'm off to the pub to watch the football, you lot can murder him.

Comment

Originally posted by Greatlookinguy View Post
              Hiya Folks,
              My first post on these forums. Hope you “seniors” can help me out with some wise advice! Am 28 years old, from India and have been working in the UK five years now (well five years in December! ..bring on my ILR ). I am a Computer Science Engineer by qualification and my background is in Data Management, Virtual Systems Administration and a wee bit of programming experience. The AGILE method of working is followed at my current place of work and I’m assisting my team lead in Scrum Master duties (might even be sent on a certification course for Scrum Master. Hopefully!). I plan to move into the contract market once I get my ILR (am a permie now), specifically into Project and/or People Management as People Communication is one of my biggest strengths and that is the career path I want to follow as well (possibly an MBA a few years down the line).

The question I have for the experts in here is as follows: Am looking to head over to India on a short holiday in early Jan 2011 and attend a one to two week training course and complete a certification in one of the following ('coz it's cheaper there) PRINCE2, PMP or ITIL. Having looked at websites such as PMP Contracts, Contractor Rates for PMP Qualifications it turns out the rate offered per day decreases in the order PMP>PRINCE2>ITIL. I have also looked at the job market via CWJobs.co.uk and JobServe and a lot interest in the market seems to be toward the AGILE methodology these days… PRINCE2 and PMP are lukewarm (or seem to me to be so.. maybe I’m not searching right?).

Which one to pick?

Secondly, is there any chance that a guy like me with a sum total of 6 years of experience (5 in the UK + 1 in India), but no direct Project Management experience can hope to land a contract role in today’s market? I’ve got Team Lead and Release Management experience though. Haven’t had hardcore techie roles in my career so far so am kind of stuck in-between wanting to get into Project managent and being able to do a little bit here and there technically…..

Any help and advise appreciated.

Thanks Guys, GLG

P.S: Yep, I know about the name
              Do you like films about Gladiators?
              “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

In order to help us to help you, you will need to provide us with some more detail. Where have you hidden the beer?

Comment

Nice one thunderlizard. Cheers for the tip! This would be my first foray into the contract market (hence perhaps the "too simple/naive" questions for the "experts" in here ). Your two lines has certainly opened up a few lines of thought.

Looks like if I want to get out of this "not a very techie job" which I'm in at the moment and jump into "big time PM world with little or no experience at all", it's going to require much more than just a sheet of paper with a fancy stamp on it. Bring it on!

The certification can be an added asset. Thinking of going in for the PMP. Coupled with (hopefully!) an AGILE Scrum Master certification from my current employer, I'll put my CV out there and get down to the butcher board. Would be interesting to find out how to sniff out these projects that I can actually sink my teeth into though.. the ones that the fancy big time PMs wouldn't dream of going near. Don't care if the money's sh!te at first, at least it's contract work and it gets me on the ladder.

Thanks once more matey, GLG

P.S: Had a look around before I posted here. Couldn't find a "Contractor Wannabe - Newbie Alert" section anywhere

Comment

Why do yo want to move into project management ? What is the motivation?
                    Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Working...
                    X