• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Upsetting phone call

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upsetting phone call

Got a call from a contracting buddy this evening. Benched for 9 months now on the brink of losing everything. 2 years ago he was a real web design hot shot. No contract work out there apparently.
    I am not in web design so I have no real idea what the market is like out there.

Could those members of the panel that are into aesthetic web design (html, css, content management etc) please report back their findings on the state of the market in this sector?

Meanwhile I've got to try and think of some diversification that might just get the ball rolling again for him.

Quite upset, so go gently.

Thanks

SY01
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Sometimes, people who have found it easy to get a job in the past, have let some things slide. When on the bench they keep doing things the same way and expect a different result.

He need to have a rethink, what would he do if he was applying for a job for the first time.

Has he ruled out all the usual suspects, CV, portfolio etc.

Is he on Linkedin etc. what network events has he attended.

He might be your friend, but the best thing you might do for him is a kick in the ass. Really he only has 6-8 weeks to land a role, then a long lonely winter.
    Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

P.S. any ideas on your custom title?
      Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
        P.S. any ideas on your custom title?
        Not really.

Comment

Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post

Sometimes, people who have found it easy to get a job in the past, have let some things slide.
          That's very true, and it's scary how quickly one starts forgetting things not used day to day.

The problem with web programming, more than most IT skills I reckon, is that there's a bewilderingly vast and constantly growing assortment of things you could know about and/or use, but only a small fraction you use on any given project.

Combining that with the "use it or lose it" principle, and it's all too easy to see how even a seasoned and perfectly competent web developer without a photographic memory could fluff interview after interview.

edit: P.S. SY01, does your friend live in Collier's Wood by any chance? I also know someone who I suspect has been on the bench since january.
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

OK. Things are not great(HTMLCSS not the extent of my abilities so not abslutely sure) but make sure your mate is claiming benefits to keep his rent/mortgage/grocery bills going.
            Secondly - pass on the advice of Alreadypacked.
            Thirdly - be a mate and make sure he can get out for a pint and talk to someone positive. I know you are good at that
            +50 Xeno Geek Points
            Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
            As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
              OK. Things are not great(HTMLCSS not the extent of my abilities so not abslutely sure) but make sure your mate is claiming benefits to keep his rent/mortgage/grocery bills going.
              Secondly - pass on the advice of Alreadypacked.
              Thirdly - be a mate and make sure he can get out for a pint and talk to someone positive. I know you are good at that
              @Owly: No, Black Country.
              @Zips: Trying to get him out for a curry.
              @AP: He is really doing everything I can think of. He spent the day driving round business parks handing in promotional material, uses the job boards, goes to networking events.

Comment

Small business web/seo consultancy.
                ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
                  @AP: He is really doing everything I can think of. He spent the day driving round business parks handing in promotional material, uses the job boards, goes to networking events.
                  Has he done any voluntary work, keep his hand in and cheer him up. I was in a bad place, pushed out of a business I started etc. Started doing voluntary work, things turned around for me. If he doesn't get a role soon it will keep him busy.
                  Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Web design (as opposed to development) is one area that many freelancers do well from, redoing sites for small companies. So if he's not already he could give that a go - but he needs a decent website himself and ideally a portfolio to show. He could contact literally everyone he knows from work and ask if they need any site design doing as he is "trying to set up on his own"... people like to help their friends so a subtle sympathy play (not, "I'm about to go under") could work.

He could also look at all the online boards though it's a tough market for web-design.

Is he applying for permie jobs?
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                    X