• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Barnardo's calls for fairer school admissions

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Barnardo's calls for fairer school admissions

BBC News - Barnardo's calls for fairer school admissions

Fewer pupils from poor homes get into England's top schools - partly because their parents are less able to navigate the admission system, Barnardo's says.
    Why is that then?

My wife works for the school admissions department and she says the people from the estates always leave it to the last minute to get the preference list in whilst nearly everyone else managers to get theirs in on time.

She also used to take my daughter to a free baby group that was set up in one of the new health centres on a local council estate, none of the mothers that attended were from the estate. The council stopped the funding because it wasn't reaching it's target demographic.

Even when you put it on their doorstep they're too lazy and feckless to bring their children along, now some bleeding heart wants brighter kids to suffer in the name of 'fairness'.
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    I think sasguru is the expert on inner city comprehensives... best ask him
    HTH
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
      This is the problem with people on council estates. They have no get up and go and its our taxes that fund their lifestyle.

They aren't like you or I.

Comment

Originally posted by 117MilesToGo View Post
        This is the problem with people on council estates. They have no get up and go and its our taxes that fund their lifestyle.

They aren't like you or I.
        Ignoring the sweeping generalisms of your post, I think the point is that is it fair that the kids should suffer for the parents lack of motivation? If you could take the kids and give them a good education, you've ended the perpetual cycle. A noble aim indeed. Noble, but unlikely to be fulfilled.

Comment

Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
          Ignoring the sweeping generalisms of your post, I think the point is that is it fair that the kids should suffer for the parents lack of motivation? If you could take the kids and give them a good education, you've ended the perpetual cycle. A noble aim indeed. Noble, but unlikely to be fulfilled.

The phrase 'You cant make a silk purse out of a sow's ear' comes to mind.

Sometimes you just have to accept defeat and stop pushing square blocks into round holes.

Comment

Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
            If the kid doesn't want to learn regardless of background then there is nothing the teacher can do about it and if the kid's parents aren't interested in their kid not learning , then the teacher will do their best to stop the kid disrupting the class.

If the kid is from a poor background and wants to learn there is normally a teacher in the school who will take the child under their wing. In fact one of the reasons the teachers I know stay in the state sector is because of this.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
            X