• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Which Canary Island?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which Canary Island?

If the coming winter is like last, I'm off somewhere warm. Which Canary island to do first? Ultra cheaply (Ryanair & camping, the latter being free and the former near as). I'm not bothered about chavs, as I won't be staying in hotels. I'd be mainly interested in scenery, walking, beach, sea activities (if cheap), that kind of thing.
    Gran Canaria
    0.00%
    Lanzarote
    22.22%
    Tenerife
    33.33%
    Other
    22.22%
    AndyW sings like a canary
    22.22%

Lanzarote is my fave. But then, it's the only one I have been to

Love it though, laid back, chilled, good food and wine... bliss!
    Bazza gets caught
    Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

I'm planning on going there over new year. There sure are a lot of golf courses though.

Hopefully it won't be too much like god's waiting room. Or full of chavs.
      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
        I'm planning on going there over new year. There sure are a lot of golf courses though.

Hopefully it won't be too much like god's waiting room. Or full of chavs.
        I had to look that one up:

It refers to the high number of retirees living there. Or Florida.
        Urban Dictionary: gods waiting room

Comment

The only one I have been to is Tenerife. Twas okay, particularly from a climate point of view. I suspect all the others are much the same, so may as well go for the cheapest deal.
          “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

I've been to all bar Tenerife and I was really pleased with Lanzarote. Would go back and loved it there.

Comment

I'm quite taken by Formentera, a short ferry ride from Ibiza, at the moment. Which to time right with the weather would be best done before winter and the Canaries trip. Hmm. What's Ibiza like?

Comment

I liked Lanzarote, away from the chav zones. Stay away from Peurto del Carmen and Arrecife and it is really very pleasant. I can't imagine that the different islands are wildly different - they are all volcanic outcrops poking out of the North Atlantic.

You will not be able to avoid the chavs completely though - they will be on the same plane over as you. British Airways used to do a direct flight from Gatwick to Lanzarote and although the Business Class was not really very good, at least it got you separated from the Chavs. I don't think they operate on that route any more though.

Comment

Tenerife has some amazing landscapes and plants.
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Another vote for Lanzarote. Is about 12 years since I went, but it was lovely away from the touristy bits. There's plenty to see - the volcano, caves, lagoons, art galleries - really nice.

Comment

Working...
                    X