• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

UK economy shows fastest growth in over nine years

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UK economy shows fastest growth in over nine years

The Office for National Statistics' second estimate for growth showed GDP rose a quarterly 1.2% between April and June, up from its initial estimate of 1.1% released a month ago

The British economy grew at the fastest pace in nearly a decade in the second quarter, higher than initially estimated, thanks to a pick-up in the construction industry and strong household spending.

The Office for National Statistics' second estimate for the second quarter showed GDP rose 1.2% between April and June, the fastest growth since the first quarter of 2001. The figure was revised higher from the initial estimate of 1.1% released a month ago and compared with 0.3% growth in the first three months of the year.

Construction output proved stronger than first thought, soaring by 8.5%, the highest rate since 1982. Consumer spending rose by 0.7%, the strongest quarterly rise since early 2008 and compared with a 0.1% drop in the first quarter. Government spending advanced by 0.3%.

The service industries expanded by 0.7%, with business services and finance bouncing back with 1.5% growth, while manufacturing powered 1.6% ahead.

More here: UK economy shows fastest growth in over nine years | Business | guardian.co.uk

Gordon will be pleased, I'm sure he can somehow work it that he was the sole reason behind this news..
    The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Is that adjusted for inflation and the dropping of the £?

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
        Is that adjusted for inflation and the dropping of the £?
        If real inflation was taken into account then GDP would shrink by 10% easy.

Comment

Damn you AtW!

I had a bet with myself earlier that you would post this piece from the Telegraph for your daily newspaper post.
          How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
          Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
            Damn you AtW!

I had a bet with myself earlier that you would post this piece from the Telegraph for your daily newspaper post.
            Stock market to crash in October

Comment

Boomed I tell ya! Watch them houseprices soar now!

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post
                Gordon will be pleased, I'm sure he can somehow work it that he was the sole reason behind this news..
                It all started in the US don't you know!
                McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
                Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Working...
                X