• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Growing tomatoes

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Growing tomatoes

I have about a dozen tomato plants all bearing a healthy bounty of tomatoes.

Only one problem, they are all green and failing to turn red.

What am I doing wrong?

Not enough sun.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Comment

My grandad used to take them off the plant once they reached a good size, bring them indoors and put them on the windowledge to ripen/turn red.
        Oh, I’m sorry….I seem to be lost. I was looking for the sane side of town. I’d ask you for directions, but I have a feeling you’ve never been there and I’d be wasting my time.

Comment

Here you go. Sounds quite simple to sort.

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
            Not enough sun.
            WHS if they're in pots move then so they can get more sun, just be careful the soil in the pots doesn't dry up.
            "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

You can also make green tomato chutney.
              While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

just more sun - mine are all starting to turn red now

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                  Not enough sun.
                  I did think that but dismissed it as they do get sunlight but I guess it is not enough.

Is the best thing to do to leave them as they are until they reach their mature size and then pick them and ripen indoors?

(They are not in pots so can't be moved).

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
                    I did think that but dismissed it as they do get sunlight but I guess it is not enough.

Is the best thing to do to leave them as they are until they reach their mature size and then pick them and ripen indoors?

(They are not in pots so can't be moved).
                    •Wrapping individual green tomatoes in newspaper and layering in a box, no more than 2 layers deep. Place the box in a dark, dry spot and check weekly for progress. It usually takes 3-4 weeks for the green tomatoes to ripen, but check frequently and remove any fruits that show signs of rotting.
                    Ripening Green Tomatoes - How to Ripen Green Tomatoes

I used to do this myself
                    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Working...
                    X