• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Netherlands, Eindhoven - renting a but n' ben

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Netherlands, Eindhoven - renting a but n' ben

Anyone ever rented in the area before? Better living out of town or in town? Where's a good site to look?

Cheers me dears...
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    Anyone ever rented in the area before? Better living out of town or in town? Where's a good site to look?

Cheers me dears...
    Eindhoven - hmm working for Philips per chance ?

I did live and work there way back from 1998 to 1999 - I did find a pretty good appartment in town to live in - theres not a lot to do in Eindhoven itself and its quite a way from Amsterdam I recall its about 90 mis on the train - maybe longer , theres a town called Den Bosch to the North of Eindhoven which is worth a wee visit .

Would I go back - no once is enough.

Its not too far from the German border - about an hours Panzer drive.

Thats about it.

Comment

Turnhout in Belgium is an easy half hour drive - cost of living is much cheaper. Eindhoven is the arse end of the Netherlands and too far from any of the other main Dutch cities to commute comfortably.
      Oh, I’m sorry….I seem to be lost. I was looking for the sane side of town. I’d ask you for directions, but I have a feeling you’ve never been there and I’d be wasting my time.

Comment

Who said Philips

Agree not liking the choice of properties on offer and they do seem expensive for want they are.

I'll give the alternative towns a lookie, thanks people.
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by SizeZero View Post
          Turnhout in Belgium is an easy half hour drive - cost of living is much cheaper. Eindhoven is the arse end of the Netherlands and too far from any of the other main Dutch cities to commute comfortably.
          How does living in Belgium working in the netherlands seen in the eyes of the authorities?

The possible job in the netherlands would all go through the netherlands tax system as far as I know, no ifs not buts.

Comment

How does living in Belgium working in the netherlands seen in the eyes of the authorities?

The possible job in the netherlands would all go through the netherlands tax system as far as I know, no ifs not buts.
            As long as you don't register at the commune (gemeente in Dutch), you'll be fine in Belgium.

Comment

I had a friend who worked there (pre-2008-mass-redundancies), so I know there are hundreds of people at Philips who live over the border because its so much cheaper: I'd recommend contacting their HR department who should be able to explain how it works.

Be aware that the south-eastern side of the Netherlands is generally less English-speaker-friendly outside the office, if you're working here longterm.
              Oh, I’m sorry….I seem to be lost. I was looking for the sane side of town. I’d ask you for directions, but I have a feeling you’ve never been there and I’d be wasting my time.

Comment

I'd consider Breda as a great place to stay.
                The local Irish bar gets full of expats most weekend nights, as well as 'The Bruxxels' in the square. University town, with plenty of local 'scenery' to admire

I stayed here B&B Aan de Singelgracht, Breda - bed and breakfast selection Weekendhotel.nl for nine months ! Also listed here B&B Aan de Singelgracht bed and breakfast - Breda, Netherlands. Breda Bed and Breakfast Inns. Always clean and tidy, free wifi, close to train station and easy walking distance of town and local shops etc. Be aware though on Sundays the shops are ALL shut, not like the UK in any way.

A few more listed here B&Bs near Breda
                & plenty listed on Goole Maps too.

I would though steer clear of Tilburg, looked a right dodgy hole everytime I went near the place.

I found flights into AMS or Rotterdam and then trains to Breda no problem at all the whole time. Train to Breda ( change at Dordrecht or Rotterdam ) took just over an hour.

J
                Trainee Techno Pikey

Comment

30% tax rule

I do not know if the 30% tax rule will bes excepted if you work in Holland and live in Belgium. You have to talk to your local accountant.

Comment

Working...
                  X