• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Culinary triumph

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Culinary triumph

Well, I've opened and tasted my first batch of jam (blackberry).

Consistency and taste was super - and all made in a (relatively) mess-free way in the microwave.

This week I'm going to tackle apple chutney, and might try to make apple wine as well.

Harvest time again!
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Chutney, eh? Is that a spoon your avatar is sucking?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
      Well, I've opened and tasted my first batch of jam (blackberry).

Consistency and taste was super - and all made in a (relatively) mess-free way in the microwave.

This week I'm going to tackle apple chutney, and might try to make apple wine as well.

Harvest time again!
      microwave?????????????????

Fig and plum chutney for me (waiting for the plums to ripen on a nearby tree)
      "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Been quite a busy culinary bee meself, lots of good stuff in season sweetcorn (chowder with smoked bacon and home made stock), beetroot (borscht) and lemons (tarte au citron, exercising my pastry muscles again).

Also made beouf bourgignon as it is a tad wintry this weekend.

Looking forward to next weekend as the farmer whom I get my meat off is back from hols, so stocking up the freezer time.

Stew season is here.
        "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
          Stew season is here.
          Tried out my new pressure cooker - stew in 50 mins, usually takes 3.5 to 4 hours

Get a leg of lamb (anything but New Zealand), remove from the bone and trim the fat, keep in fairly large chunks.

Make a marinade of olive oil, garlic and paprika and coat the lamb chunks and leave in the fridge for however long you want it to marinate.

Finely chop an onion, soften then add the lamb (no need to brown), pour on a bottle of red wine and add a bouquet garni, season.

Cook until the lamb is falling apart, reduce the wine and serve.
          Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
            Tried out my new pressure cooker - stew in 50 mins, usually takes 3.5 to 4 hours

Get a leg of lamb (anything but New Zealand), remove from the bone and trim the fat, keep in fairly large chunks.

Make a marinade of olive oil, garlic and paprika and coat the lamb chunks and leave in the fridge for however long you want it to marinate.

Finely chop an onion, soften then add the lamb (no need to brown), pour on a bottle of red wine and add a bouquet garni, season.

Add some chorizo, diced peppers, also smoked paprika and some chickpeas.

mmmmmm

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
              Add some chorizo, diced peppers, also smoked paprika and some chickpeas.

mmmmmm
              Forgot to mention the chorizo, Mrs C's recipe being Portuguese
              Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post

I've got a pressure cooker, I'm not as happy with it as I thought I would be.

It cooks and all that, but I just don't think it tastes as good as the 3 hour stew.

I really don't mind the time as I bung it all together, turn it on and go out walking or something.

Pressure cooking tastes like it - a bit of a 'thinner' flavour somehow.

But maybe it's just me
                "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

I had a pressure cooker but got rid of it, as it's just not the same as cooking summat for 3-6 hours.

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Working...
                  X