• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Working day

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Working day

Hi all,

New the site so I hope this is in the right place.

I have a quick question about working hours.

I've just started a new contract and have been asked to get into work for 8.30am (it was 9am at first) for meetings at 8.45am. I have been told I work a 'professional working day' but the working day is 7.5hrs, but been told I have to stay until 5pm so thats 8hrs (30 min lunch), which I dont have a big problem with, but the other contractors and some perm staff can do 7.5hrs as they have to pick kids up from school etc after work.

I get paid a day rate and in my contract there is nothing about working hours of day or week and I dont have anything on email about hours, but i have asked the hours and just said ok while I would check.

I'm just wondering where I stand as leave at 4.30pm or 4.45pm would help my travel a lot as I would miss a bit if traffic and get home at a better time.

I know it sounds bad making a fuss about 30 mins, but why should other people work less hours and get paid the same.

I understand how you feel, but contracting is not about fairness.

I would wait to see the lie of the land and would give them the hours you mentioned for the 1st week, but no more than that.

PWW's are notoriously difficult to define and can be the starting point for bullying but contractors can and do settle into schedules that work for them.

It's easier to deal with in the public sector though, I'll admit.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by lez View Post
      I get paid a day rate and in my contract there is nothing about working hours of day or week and I dont have anything on email about hours, but i have asked the hours and just said ok while I would check.
      Ah, mistake there, I think ? If you want to avoid IR35 then it is important that you set your own hours and place of work.

If you are contracting through a Ltd Co. then surely your companys' standard terms state that your day rate includes travelling time between your offices and theirs ? And client facing time (including travelling) is 6 hours pd max ?

No ? Why not ?

Boo

Comment

Originally posted by Boo View Post
        Ah, mistake there, I think ? If you want to avoid IR35 then it is important that you set your own hours and place of work.
        If I hire a cleaner for the company, I can set the hours I want them in. You want a contract that says "client and supplier will agree hours" don't you? Just turning up when you like isn't necessarily meeting the client's needs.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by lez View Post

I've just started a new contract and have been asked to get into work for 8.30am (it was 9am at first) for meetings at 8.45am. I have been told I work a 'professional working day' but the working day is 7.5hrs, but been told I have to stay until 5pm so thats 8hrs (30 min lunch), which I dont have a big problem with, but the other contractors and some perm staff can do 7.5hrs as they have to pick kids up from school etc after work.
          Does it say anywhere that you have to have 30mins lunch? If not take longer.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Having to meet the client's needs by being available at a certain time and having to work on the client's site to get the work done is not necessarily an indication that you fall under IR35.

If you are contracting through a Ltd Co. then surely your companys' standard terms state that your day rate includes travelling time between your offices and theirs ? And client facing time (including travelling) is 6 hours pd max ?
            Show me a large employer who has employees working on client sites who allows them to work a 6 hour day due to travelling.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
              Show me a large employer who has employees working on client sites who allows them to work a 6 hour day due to travelling.
              Most sales staff do their travelling in company time, no ?

Also, my original point was a somewhat tongue in cheek dig at the OP's rolling over at the clients request in accepting disadvantageous terms where there was no contractual obligation on him to do so.

Boo

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                Does it say anywhere that you have to have 30mins lunch? If not take longer.
                It's actually quite hard to take only 30 minutes for lunch!
                Cats are evil.

Comment

Most sales staff do their travelling in company time, no ?
                  The vast majority of sales staff I know work long hours and are paid commission. So whether they do their travelling in company time or not they don't work 6 hours a day.

Also, my original point was a somewhat tongue in cheek dig at the OP's rolling over at the clients request in accepting disadvantageous terms where there was no contractual obligation on him to do so.
                  The OP should have got their contract terms reviewed before starting on the contract so what is considered a professional working day is written in the contract.

Comment

Originally posted by swamp View Post
                    It's actually quite hard to take only 30 minutes for lunch!
                    Depends where you work.

If you work in a business park in the middle of no where where you have a sandwich shop/van then it's very easy.

If you work at home and you have your lunch already prepared it's also very easy.

If you work in the middle of town and have to go and buy your lunch then it isn't.

Comment

Working...
                    X