• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Plums

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plums

There is a tree where I park for work. In the winter it gives me cover from the rain and snow when I load/unload for work. In the summer it keeps the sun off the car and gives me cover if I need a power nap at lunch time.
    The last week or so I noticed the branches getting lower and lower, now they are about three feet off the ground, from about 15.
    The reason for this is the heavy crop of plums that are weighing the branches down, there is a massive crop there. The ground around my car is covered with windfalls- zillions of em,

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Under a previous government, you'd be taxed for that.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

chutney
      "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
        chutney
        Cooks.com - Recipes - Plum Chutney

You'll need a spoon with that.
        And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

8 figs, 12 plums, 1 red onion, 500ml balsamic vinegar, 200g brown sugar, 150 ml Madeira (malmsey) or port.
          Chop figs, plums (take stone out) and onion, bung in pan with sugar and vinegar and port, cook for 2 hours until reduced and pour into sterilised pots.

For red onion marmalade, omitting the plums and figs and upping the red onion quota to 12 and only 200ml balsamic and 75ml port, and 100g of sugar

goes well with duck, game terrine, liver pate and goats cheese.
          "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
            8 figs, 12 plums, 1 red onion, 500ml balsamic vinegar, 200g brown sugar, 150 ml Madeira (malmsey) or port.
            Chop figs, plums (take stone out) and onion, bung in pan with sugar and vinegar and port, cook for 2 hours until reduced and pour into sterilised pots.

For red onion marmalade, omitting the plums and figs and upping the red onion quota to 12 and only 200ml balsamic and 75ml port, and 100g of sugar

goes well with duck, game terrine, liver pate and goats cheese.
            Must say norr, some of your recipes sound top notch. Plan B if ever there was one.

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

I have a pear tree bursting with pears.

There are only so many you can eat.

As an aside, years ago, it was more common to find such fruit trees in peoples back gardens - not so much nowadays, I suspect - bloody shame.

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
                I have a pear tree bursting with pears.

There are only so many you can eat.
                Yep, and thats what suprised me. You hear about wild animals struggling for food, etc, then there is this massive bonanza with nothing (apparant) taking advantage of it

(\__/)
                (>'.'<)
                ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                  Yep, and thats what suprised me. You hear about wild animals struggling for food, etc, then there is this massive bonanza with nothing (apparant) taking advantage of it

You must be in an area with a low number of Polish immigrants - they are not shy about helping themselves to natures bounty.

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post

You reminded me there was a plum tree just down the road, ripe for the picking, I was too late, the recent high winds knocked all the ripe ones off and there's nowt left.

Bumper crop of pears this year, my two trees are bent double. Lots of pear sorbet, pear crumble, pear tartin, pickled pears, poached pears with blue cheese

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
                    Must say norr, some of your recipes sound top notch. Plan B if ever there was one.

Why thank you kind sir, I do have a culinary plan B, but that's on hold till Mr N finishes his masters (which doesn't start till next month and ends in precisely a year) So more power to teh warchest.

Used to run my own private catering company till my business partner upped sticks and left me unable to find anyone else

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Working...
                    X