• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

House prices have nowhere to go but down

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

House prices have nowhere to go but down

Only a mug bets against rising house prices in Britain. This is a small island that has a rising population, tight planning controls and a tax system that favours property. Demand tends to run well ahead of supply, and that means bricks and mortar always seems a good investment.

Well, call me a mug if you like, but house prices are overpriced and have to fall. Activity is weak, with the number of new mortgage applications running at less than half their pre-recession levels. First-time buyers, according to a survey from Rightmove out today, account for only 20% of the market, about half the level needed to lubricate housing chains. A separate snapshot of the market from Hometrack says that sagging prices are more than the customary seasonal lull.

On the face of it, this seems strange. Friday's revised figures for UK growth in the second quarter showed output expanded by 1.2% – the strongest surge in nine years. Traditionally, there is a symbiotic relationship between growth and house prices; the two feed off each other. At the moment, however, this relationship has broken down and it's not hard to see why: the market has been rigged in favour of existing owner-occupiers at the expense of those trying to get on the housing ladder. Bank rate was cut from 5% to 0.5%. The Bank of England launched its quantitative easing programme, which has added £200bn to the money supply. Ministers put pressure on lenders to go easy on those in mortgage arrears.

All this was done with the best of intentions. Back in the early 1990s, Britain saw record repossessions when boom turned to bust. Given that the downturn of 2008-09 was far more severe, there were justifiable fears that a tidal wave of repossessions would tip Britain into a full-scale slump. The policy was a double success. First, repossessions were capped at about half the levels in the milder recession two decades earlier. Second, the boost to real incomes for those with variable-rate home loans meant that they could spend a bit more while at the same time paying down their debts.

But there was a downside to rigging the market in this way: it created what economists call a classic insider-outside problem. When the property bubble popped in the late 1980s, house prices fell for six years, making them affordable again for first-time buyers. This time, the scale of the policy response meant prices steadied much more quickly; they were edging up in the spring of 2009, even though economic output was still falling.

More: House prices have nowhere to go but down | Business | The Guardian

----

Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Well, call me a mug if you like
    It would be my pleasure, though few feel the need for an invitation.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post

It would be my pleasure, though few feel the need for an invitation.
      I think AtW is plagiarising some other mug, or in other words stealing someone else's writing and trying to pass it off as his own.

(That's not to say he isn't a mug too though.)
      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
        I think AtW is plagiarising some other mug, or in other words stealing someone else's writing and trying to pass it off as his own.
        I've provided link to the source right at the bottom, so that's not plagiarism...

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
          Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post

(That's not to say he isn't a mug too though.)
          I've provided link to the source right at the bottom, so that's not plagiarism...
          WAtWS - there's a less-than-fine tradition on CUK of morons posting stuff they've cut-&-pasted from somewhere else as if it was their own work, but AtW has a good record of linking to his sources. I assume he quotes the lead because he knows that many people on here are too lazy to read the original to which he refers before spEaking theyre branes, so he gives them the base of the inverted pyramid.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
            WAtWS - there's a less-than-fine tradition on CUK of morons posting stuff they've cut-&-pasted from somewhere else as if it was their own work, but AtW has a good record of linking to his sources. I assume he quotes the lead because he knows that many people on here are too lazy to read the original to which he refers before spEaking theyre branes, so he gives them the base of the inverted pyramid.
            I am sure the tacit support of the dreariest links poster on the forum will provide much succour to our resident desperate renter. As he feverishly trawls the net looking for some tenuous snippets relating to the mythical houseprice crash he has been predicting for yonks.

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

I think it's more likely that wages will rise.
              While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                maybe, but there should be a law against posting controversial links without taking a position, or making an observation at least. Otherwise its just stirring

(\__/)
                (>'.'<)
                ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                  maybe, but there should be a law against posting controversial links without taking a position, or making an observation at least. Otherwise its just stirring

My position was that AtW had quoted a source and provided a link to that source, so OH's assertion that AtW was plagiarising was unjustified. It's a meta-comment on the thread rather than a contribution to the main topic, but so was OH's post. No disrespect to OH, or to you EO, but I felt that AtW was being unjustly criticised.

SB can just **** off

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
                    I am sure the tacit support of the dreariest links poster on the forum will provide much succour to our resident desperate renter. As he feverishly trawls the net looking for some tenuous snippets relating to the mythical houseprice crash he has been predicting for yonks.

Poor moderation here.

Beautiful, vitriolic bile attack from Nick Fitz posted here. The vaneer slipped all of a sudden and the man behind OZ was exposed.

Adding little notes stating that if you delete my post you must delete the post before it.

Truly pathetic. Stop trying to set the board rules Nick.
                    What happens in General, stays in General.
                    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Working...
                    X