• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Pension / Mortgage dilemma…..

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pension / Mortgage dilemma…..

I am on an interest only mortgage, obviously good to get rid of this asap.

If I was to contribute what I am putting into my pension, I can blitz the mortgage in around 10 years or so. (Mortgage is around 200K mark, if I sell the BTL at the same time, all sorted).

As mortgage rates are really low just now, I have already got a few years of pension already behind me, I am seriously considering focussing on repaying the interest only mortgage off while rates are good, then re-thinking the pension.

Is this a really daft thought?

Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post
    I am on an interest only mortgage, obviously good to get rid of this asap.

If I was to contribute what I am putting into my pension, I can blitz the mortgage in around 10 years or so. (Mortgage is around 200K mark, if I sell the BTL at the same time, all sorted).

As mortgage rates are really low just now, I have already got a few years of pension already behind me, I am seriously considering focussing on repaying the interest only mortgage off while rates are good, then re-thinking the pension.

Is this a really daft thought?
    Accountants don't have interest-only mortgages.

What does that tell you?

Comment

Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
      Accountants don't have interest-only mortgages.

What does that tell you?
      That tells me accountants don't have interest only mortgages - perhaps because they are all very sure of regular income, unlike the IT Crowd.....

I like the way I can increase and decrease payments depending how the income levels are faring.

Comment

Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post
        That tells me accountants don't have interest only mortgages - perhaps because they are all very sure of regular income, unlike the IT Crowd.....

I like the way I can increase and decrease payments depending how the income levels are faring.
        And that helps you how with an interest only mortgage?

iirc you're a permanent employee working for a certain supermarket. I'd have thought your income would be reasonably predictable.
        Last edited by SupremeSpod; 2 September 2010, 12:41.

Comment

Working...
        X