• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Oh Dear: Pensions

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh Dear: Pensions

Time to give your pension a reality check - Telegraph

'I've been paying into my employer's pension for years, surely I'll be OK?
    Don't bank on it. The Moneyfacts figures showed that we're getting less for our pension pots than ever before. By the time you come to retire, the annuity, or yearly income, you can buy with your pension pot may be much smaller than you hope for. Unless you have a final salary pension scheme, also called a defined benefit scheme, you'll need a surprisingly large amount of money to get a relatively modest yearly income.

For example, if you are hoping to retire on the equivalent of the average teacher's pension – a relatively modest £9,358 a year – you'll need to accumulate a pension fund of more than £205,000. If you only started saving at the age of 40, achieving this would cost almost £500 a month (assuming a growth rate of 6pc). If you started at 20, it would cost you £175 a month, so it pays to start early.

'

Oh Dear.

Milan.

<TiC>
    But our houses will be worth a fortune. We'll just withdraw equity from those.
    </TiC>
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
      Doomed etc.

Don't get me started on pensions.

It's the only good thing about this job really.

When they discontinue it, I's off.
      Have I wandered into Permie UK by mistake?
      Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
        assuming a growth rate of 6pc

Comment

Originally posted by MrMark View Post
          Have I wandered into Permie UK by mistake?
          Have you not been introduced to our pet GAL?

Comment

Working...
          X