• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Yoot' Gangsters!!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yoot' Gangsters!!

Watching a telly prog about youth gangs, something is bugging me. Why the **** do they all talk with fake Jamaican accents?!?! Is there some correlation between Jamacian accents and gangs.

My teenage years were spent in East London in the late 80's and there certainly was an element of talking Jamaican style to be cool, but it seems to have got worse.

They were interviewing gangs from bloody Nottingham and they all were talking like wannabe Yardies. What's funny is that I bet as soon as they sit round the dinner table with their parents they don't talk like that.
    Politicians are wonderfull people, as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, like working for a living!

Back in the Eighties I was at a mate's flat and a young Afro-Caribbean friend of his was talking away in patois. After he left my mate said "He never used to talk like that you know. We were at school together, and he talked perfectly normally until he was about seventeen."

Comment

Maybe it's contagious. I can never speak to an Australian without immediately speaking like one.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by portseven View Post

Watching a telly prog about youth gangs, something is bugging me. Why the **** do they all talk with fake Jamaican accents?!?! Is there some correlation between Jamacian accents and gangs.
        It's a rebel thing - Anything to be different from their parents (even if they sound identical to each other).

If their parents started talking like Yardies, the kids would all probably start sounding like something out of Tom Brown's schooldays.
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

* sucks teeth *
          ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
            Back in the Eighties I was at a mate's flat and a young Afro-Caribbean friend of his was talking away in patois.
            Luckily everyone has now got decking instead

I'll get me coat
            Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
              Maybe it's contagious. I can never speak to an Australian without immediately speaking like one.
              That's what psychologists call acceptance behaviour mirroring (or something like that)
              Basically you make yourself sound similar to them to make them like you
              Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
                That's what psychologists call acceptance behaviour mirroring (or something like that)
                Initially there was only one psychologist who used that term. The consequences were inevitable

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
                  I am not convinced that this works though. I think I do it but I remember having a chat with an American chap when we were both waiting at Dover for a cross-channel ferry and he thought that I was mocking him.

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                  Initially there was only one psychologist who used that term. The consequences were inevitable

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                    I read all the error messages on clientCo's system (in my head) in an Indian accent. Only my Indian accent is pretty rubbish, so they sound a bit Welsh.

Comment

Working...
                    X