• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New Zealand earthquake

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Zealand earthquake

BBC News - Strong earthquake rocks New Zealand's South Island

Lucky no one seems to have been killed. My frends in Wellington said that the 'earth moved for them'.

Great earthquake website at this link, I've followed it for more than 5 years and the predictor is pretty darn accurate....

The World-Wide Earthquake Locator
    “Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending.”

Originally posted by Hugh Jardon View Post
    BBC News - Strong earthquake rocks New Zealand's South Island

Lucky no one seems to have been killed. My frends in Wellington said that the 'earth moved for them'.

Great earthquake website at this link, I've followed it for more than 5 years and the predictor is pretty darn accurate....

The World-Wide Earthquake Locator
    Well it didn't predict that one did it.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

It sounds like it has caused some major inconvenience.

I heard on the radio not long ago that the Mayor has asked for the army to be called in to provide security because the police cannot cope.

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
        It sounds like it has caused some major inconvenience.

I heard on the radio not long ago that the Mayor has asked for the army to be called in to provide security because the police cannot cope.
        The natives are getting restless.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
          Well it didn't predict that one did it.
          It's for Major quakes MF.

I wonder if the bit about their prediction software accuracy is another way of protecting their backs, besides the disclaimer........................

Or they offshored that piece of development, and guess what it's now doing...........
          “Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending.”

Comment

The natives are getting restless.
            That's in South Auckland.

Mrs Gonzo won't go there so I have never actually been there other than through it, on the motorway, very quickly.

Comment

That's in South Auckland.

Mrs Gonzo won't go there so I have never actually been there other than through it, on the motorway, very quickly.
              Isn't the airport in South Auckland?
              ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
                Isn't the airport in South Auckland?
                OK pedant.

Yes, geographically the airport is on the south-side of the city but it is away from the population centres that get described as South Auckland. Anyway, Wikipedia tells me that I am completely wrong about the location for that movie and it is in fact much further south. Oh well, it was at least 12 years ago that I watched it when a New Zealand friend insisted that I watch this film all about life there.

Back to the quake, indications today are that 20% of homes* in the quake zone have been rendered uninhabitable. Ouch.

*I am passing on a figure that I have read without doing any further checking or verification - it is the local way.

Comment

*I am passing on a figure that I have read without doing any further checking or verification - it is the local way.
                  The sound of half a dozen CUK pedant's keyboards can be herd tapping away into Google at this very second.

Comment

The sound of half a dozen CUK pedant's keyboards can be herd tapping away into Google at this very second.
                    Is it not a service or bi-product of interacting with others that they point out our failings or their own superiority? If we didn't highlight your stupidity how would you work it our for yourself?

heard
                    Last edited by oracleslave; 4 September 2010, 21:04.

Comment

Working...
                    X