• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Should UK taxpayers pay for Papa visit?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Papal visit could cost UK taxpayers £8m-£12m. Link.

The Catholic church is awash with cash. If they want to send their pantomime dame on tour they should pick up the tab themselves.
    Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

No.

Next question please?
    How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
    Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Certainly not. Head of state? Some state, the only reason it takes 25 minutes to get from the Vatican entrance to the Cistine chapel is because they walk you round and round in circles. Would we splash out that much if the president or whatever of San Marinio or Lichtenstein was visiting?
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Yes.

6 million Catholics in this country have a right to have 12 million spent on them once every 30 years to have the pope over here.

I don't remember any Catholic getting in a strop about how much gay pride marches cost.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
          Yes.

6 million Catholics in this country have a right to have 12 million spent on them once every 30 years to have the pope over here.

I don't remember any Catholic getting in a strop about how much gay pride marches cost.
          I agree, 12 million is a drop in the ocean and it allows the pope to meet some of the millions of
          Catholics in the UK.

Comment

Drove past the park last night and the work is already getting done to get the mass ready.

Comment

I was under the impression that the Catholic Church IS paying for some of the cost - our Diocese has been given a hefty target to meet, which will all come from donations from the Congregation.

Personally i think the money could be better spent to alleviate a lot of hardship and suffering, but what the heck do I know.
              I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
              CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
              CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

If it costs the taxpayer then it is reasonable to ask for some advertising space to sell to firms like Durex ...

Comment

A Government spokesman said: "The Holy See is an internationally-recognised nation with significant influence across the world, while the Catholic Church has a billion adherents.

"The Pope is visiting at the invitation of the Queen. It is right and proper that the British Government should pay a share of the costs of the visit."
                  Right, let us cut to the chase, Prince Andrew wants a game of golf and gets a helicopter to take him up to St Andrews for a round which costs 'the taxpayer' 10 grand. Lizzie has managed to 'find' a fortune of 800 million which we top up every year.

Comment

Speaking as an atheist, I really don't see what the fuss is about. Whether you agree with his teachings or not (I definately don't), he holds significant faith-based representation of a large percentage of the world's population, so should be afforded due diplomatic respect.

The last time the Dalai Lama was in London, no doubt we picked up the tab for his security arrangements - and no-one batted an eyelid.

Okay, the scale is bigger, but the principle is the same. Either we have to become like North Korea and completely close our borders, or there are certain costs that have to be paid for - and hosting foreign dignatories is one of them.

As I understand it, the Catholic church are contributing to the cost of the papal aspects of the visit, so I'm quite happy with it.

Comment

Working...
                    X