• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMRC Giant Cockup

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HMRC Giant Cockup

Sorry if we already discussed this. It's now being suggest something like 25% of workers may have over or underpaid through PAYE. I wonder how us Ltd contractors will fare...
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

I'd imagine it would be 'all hands to the pumps' until they get it sorted.

I'm wondering who will get fired (who's the outsourcer?) and if there are any jobs going.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
      I'd imagine it would be 'all hands to the pumps' until they get it sorted.

I'm wondering who will get fired (who's the outsourcer?) and if there are any jobs going.
      Thats the contractor answer you expect on this site.

Someone dies in a horrible freak accident and the reply is 'So sad, wonder who is hiring manager is?'
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

"I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Can't they just 'borrow' the 2 billion that was underpaid ? Where is Gordon Brown when he is most needed to sort something out ?
          Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
            Thats the agent answer you expect on this site.

Someone dies in a horrible freak accident and the reply is 'So sad, wonder who is hiring manager is?'
            "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
              Can't they just 'borrow' the 2 billion that was underpaid ? Where is Gordon Brown when he is most needed to sort something out ?
              Well haven't they overpaid and underpaid roughly the same amount, about £2bn each way? It would have been much easier to not own up, but now they can't possibly avoid sorting it out because anyone who overpaid will demand it back.

Are both under/overpayments going to be accounted next tax year through adjustments to person tax codes, or is that only for taking more money?
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

They should just create a retrospective tax law, along the lines of "The tax you paid before 2010, was the amount you should have paid. Unless it was less than the amount you should have paid, in which case cough up you thieving tax evading bastards."
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                  They should just create a retrospective tax law, along the lines of "The tax you paid before 2010, was the amount you should have paid. Unless it was less than the amount you should have paid, in which case cough up you thieving tax evading bastards."
                  Self assessment? I invented that!

And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                    Self assessment? I invented that!

Doddy was an amateur compared with this fellow...

Originally posted by BBC
                    1987: Lester Piggott jailed for three years
                    Former champion jockey, Lester Piggott, has been sentenced to three years imprsionment after being found guilty of an alleged tax fraud of over £3m.

The 51-year-old remained stony-faced as he was sentenced by Mr Justice Farquharson at Ipswich Crown Court.
                    But his wife, Susan, collapsed in tears as he was taken to Norwich prison.

Piggott was jailed after failing to declare income to the Inland Revenue of £3.25m.
                    The biggest sum on the charge sheet relates to an alleged omission of £1,359,726 from additional riding income. Another alleged that for 14 years, from 1971, he omitted income of £1,031,697 from bloodstock operations.

False declarations
                    Piggott, whose personal fortune is estimated at £20m, is said to have used different names to channel his earnings in secret bank accounts in Switzerland, the Bahamas, Singapore and the Cayman Islands.

The nine times Derby winner has been prosecuted in the biggest individual income tax-dodging case ever brought in Britain and the sentence is the highest to be passed for a personal tax fraud.

Piggott was charged after a joint Customs and Inland Revenue investigation, codenamed Centaur after the halfman, half-horse beast of mythology, into his affairs.

The jockey was said to have signed false declarations to the Inland Revenue during three successive inquiries into his tax affairs between 1970 and 1985.

The judge remarked that Piggott even misled his own accountants "until the matter was forced out of you" last year.

Other leading jockeys and racing figures were also questioned during the inquiry but the Inland Revenue said it was "too early to say" whether more prosecutions will follow.

Top racing figures have been left stunned by the punishment imposed on Piggott, who has become a household name throughout the world.

The champion jockey, Pat Eddery said: "I am shocked and very sad. I did not think he would get three years, but the law is the law."

The sentence was condemned as a "terrible injustice" by the Newmarket trainer, David Thom, who said Piggott had put "more money in the taxman's coffers than any 100 people could have done."

But appeals for leniency by Mr John Mathew, QC, Piggott's counsel, had been rejected by the judge, who said he could not "pass over" the scale of Piggott's VAT and income tax evasion without an invitation to others tempted to cheat.

He will be eligible for parole after one year or if early release is refused, could earn remission of one year for good behaviour.
                    An example to us all.

Comment

Working...
                    X